Crowther 33 Buccaneer

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Tom Mark Page, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

Well, it's progressing. As with any project, there's always more than initially assessed.
    With regard to the beams, that was turning into a nightmare to try and source or modify something and has gone onto the futures list. On advice, I have made a minor modification and built little sleeves that extend out from the boat.
    Following a rainwater leak into the bow and finding much rot (largely as a result of poor initial build decisions) This was threatening to compromise the forestay chainplate - now remedied. New deck and new glass on bow and floats.
    One of the worse cases of osmosis/pox I've met - much grinding and filling. (high humidity here - and I doubt she was moulded in a dry, humidity controlled factory)
    Dark paint that oxidises, goes matt and darkens further, does an amazing thing where it heats up and cracks through the layers of paint, through the substrate, all the way to the fiberglass. Quite alarming, and without scraping the entire boat back to glass then re-skimming the entire thing, lots of sanding and filling cracks.
    Currently dealing with old engine mounts/trying to get the old ones out to replace them.
    Having to replace all the sheave blocks because the rigging is from 40 years ago when wire-rope halyards were all the rage (obviously replacing all the standing and running rigging)
    Built a new prop-strut and installing a new stern-tube....
    The list goes one. Haven't come close to tidying up the inside or looking at the cool box, the head, or the cooker. And then there's the electrics to attend to. The fresh water tank, the diesel tank. Also, want to modify the centre-board case because the control lines are INSIDE the boat/up in the bow which is just stupid IMO....
    Still, she's looking much better than she did. Outside work gets done on sunny days, inside work gets done on wet days. I haven't had any time off for months now :-( Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh the joy of project boats.

bajansailor likes this.
  2. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Dambo, how about posting a few photos of the problems/repairs if you can? I always like to see other solutions to the usual old boat issues. It sounds as if you are making good progress considering the condition of your project.
    Bruce

bajansailor likes this.
  3. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

Sure, I'll have to resize most of the photos, this may take me a day or two.
    She's been on here before after a previous owner repainted her; "Three's Company" (not the yank one obviously) She looked great in a new green paint job. The previous owner says someone was supposed to be looking after her while he was overseas but that clearly didn't happen. She was left on the mooring for many years becoming a derelict muscle farm. I decided I wanted a project. I got a wee bit more than I was looking for, buuuuuut never mind.

4. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

Take a look at the so far. I can't seem to make the gallery cooperate. But there's photos from when I first went and looked at it followed by work in progress.

I spent the evening attaching all the new rigging then busting my gut trying to undo the oil filler (bronze) bolt in the (aluminium) gearbox. I'll return tomorrow with a wee propane torch...

peterbike, bajansailor and oldmulti like this.
  5. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Wow, nicely done! What engine are you using?

6. Russell Brown

Russell Brown Senior Member

Nice re-build! I like the new prop shaft strut fabrication. It looks like the boat was nicely built, which makes it easier to put energy into.

7. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

She has a BMC 1.5lt/27hp diesel which is in remarkably good condition - the oil is still golden!
    The gearbox is an ancient Watermota J-type. Very simple little gearboxes. This evening I managed to remove the oil filler plug from the gearbox. There was much propane, much swearing, and the use of a large set of stilson grips. Once out and lubricated the thing goes in an out by hand...

8. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

Thank you! The engineers offered to caste a new strut from the old one for some $3.5k. I've made a few critical parts from composite/glass/carbon and figured I'd just make my own.
    Once it was on the boat I thought I'd double check my work and shook the entire boat and cradle. I think it will do.
    The boat was well built. I bought it in this state on the basis that the hull is foam core and therefore, with the exception of pox, a pretty safe bet.
    On the other hand, the state of the bow section was a little alarming and not well built at all. Much unfinished/rough edged heavy weave, no fairing, plywood structural components that had deck screws into the end grain - a bit of a nightmare. Most of that has been replaced and I think is now much, much stronger.

9. Scuff

Scuff Senior Member

Could you share the details on the strut fabrication?

10. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Dambo, that is a pretty job you have done, I think well worth the effort! She really was dirty to start with so the improvement is even more noticeable. My 33 is also foam cored, I was lucky, mine seems well built everywhere and I have had very little blistering even though it has been in very warm water both salt and fresh. I have not yet put on that quality of paint job, but I think I will in the future, seeing yours makes the effort seem worth while and I have come to really like my 33.
    Thanks for posting the photos! You should be proud!
    Bruce

bajansailor likes this.
  11. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

I was going to go with a foam core, but I decided for no reason, to take a mold of the original and use the mold to make a compressed laminate. I lay carbon uni in decreasing width down the centre of each half and then clamped them together. Once out of the mold I did a layer or biaxial wrap around the whole thing. It is substantially thicker than the metal one. I then glued it into the place on the boat with more uni strips extending out in a star pattern on the hull. I'll take another pic this weekend before I put antifoal on it - currently it's been faired, sanded, and painted with primer.

12. Dambo

Dambo Junior Member

13. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

It looks like you have yourself a nice yacht!! Enjoy!
    Bruce

Manfred.pech likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.