Crowther 33 Buccaneer

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Tom Mark Page, Jun 9, 2021.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

That is a pretty nice looking 33, too bad it has rot. It looks to be built with oval cross beams joined near the hull. I would just slice them at the joint with a thin blade saw, then drill out and remove the wooden plug that joined them. Try and save the waterstays complete, they would be harder to source. The beams inside the hull are probably ok , if necessary to remove them they are cross bolted to the boat inner structure. PITA but Bucs are simple boats and can be rebuilt. When you can inspect the boat take plenty of detail photos of any damage you can see. I have quite a few extra sails and some extra used Buc parts if you get to that point.
    B

2. Neil C Kahn

Neil C Kahn New Member

Hello Bruce, What do you mean by joined at the hull. Is there a visible joint and just a block of wood inside? I'm still not sure if I am going forward with this project. Currently lacking spousal support. We work in tourism and it has been a long slow year and half down here in CR. Is there any way we can speak. my email is nnnkahn@gm--l.c-m maybe through there we can share phone numbers or whatsapp. I can call USA numbers. if you are willing to have a chat.
    How many people could one comfortable put on this boat. I have a Searunner 25 and have opened the cockpit to the max and comfortably carry 6. Also, it took me a while to design them but I figured out how to put bow nets on the searunner and I'm sure it would work on the buccaneer. Anyway, my mind is having a tough time not thinking about this boat. I know I could fix her and she is about as close to a fantasy boat as I'll ever get. Big enough to actually go somewhere if I ever get the chance and small enough to park it at the house if I'd be gone for many months. and Fast. Enough cabin to hide from a storm. Multiday sailing lessons etc etc. Sailing here is beautiful. check out our site www.kayakjaco.com
    I'm rambling on. Waiting on back tax info to determine actual purchase cost. A Costa Rican thing, The owner has a large list of sails and goodies for more money. as to be expected. I don't understand when he described that the board just floats up in the trunk. Anyway, its a full day to go see it. But I'll get there soon. Can I post a video here. I'll try. I can't figure it out. I can send some videos of some folks who took a look via whatsapp. The interior looked not very moldy, It looked clean. The amas have some issues but thats not that big a deal.

3. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Neil, Lots of questions, I will try on some of them here, and also get in touch with your email.
    The beams are joined a few inches out from the main hull, you can see the thru bolts near the main hull. If original, yes, there are well fitted wooden plugs inside the beams, and they are probably well stuck. The beams are mostly in compression so the wood only keeps the inner ends lined up.
    My boat easily carries 6-8 people for day sailing and can be set up with 4-5 bunks with a decent galley and a enclosed head forward, the access to the head is tight for anyone not skinny and fit. The 33's are certainly seaworthy boats for their size, but loading has to be limited for offshore. They could be fitted with bow nets but you cannot carry much load forward, the 33 is fine forward and fairly light. I have light weight nets forward to catch sails and I carry water toys and sometimes a light inflatable there but not crew. Weight needs to be kept in the middle. The main nets are large enough for a two man camping tent to fit well and are a great place to sleep in warm weather. I also rig a bimini over at least one side net in the summer as well as one over the cockpit. The dagger boards are usually built to float and might need something to hold them down, I use a shovel handle with a pin at deck level- it works fine.
    Rot in the floats is common and not too hard to fix if they are not too far gone, The floats weigh about 400 lbs and can be dropped for repair and transport with the boat's own equipment, problems in the main hull are more serious, and if very extensive the boat should probably be avoided.
    B

4. Neil C Kahn

Neil C Kahn New Member

Thanks for the intel, hopefully I can go see the boat later this week. I've arranged a place to haul the boat and get it off the beach without taking it apart, at least immediately. That spot is about 250 yards from my business. So it is relatively convenient. She is currently 150 miles away and would need some emergency TLC to make her seaworthy enough for the trip. Which would entail exposed Pacific Ocean coastline and crossing a 30 mile wide gulf. The whole thing just sounds like fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.