'Vintage' Boating Accessories

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Raingod1969, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Raingod1969

Raingod1969 New Member

Good afternoon Gentlemen.

I am new to this forum and would like to help a friend who is currently restoring a vintage craft.

It is a 1920's Chris Craft Clipper. I wish I had more detail about the craft itself but alas, I don't. He is looking for original vintage marine accessories to compliment the old classic mainly wood finish. I have scoured the internet for suppliers in SA but none too promising unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Any direction to the newbie?

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

The Antique and Classic Boat Society--ACBS--is the best source for information. They publish a quarterly magazine called The Rudder which has articles and advertising from suppliers such as your friend needs. Link: http://www.acbs.org/. There are marque clubs for Chris Crafts, and I dare say whatever your friend needs he'll be able to find it somewhere. Joining the ACBS would be a good first move so that you can get the membership roster and join a local chapter. You'll find resources and interested compatriots galore!

I hope that helps.

Eric
    (I'm a member of the Sunnyland Chapter here in Florida). Chapters are located throughout the US.

3. Eric Sponberg

Actually, I see you are in South Africa--that's going to make joining a local ACBS chapter difficult--I don't think they have any chapters there. However, contact the ACBS through their website, and they may be able to put you in touch with people who supply vintage Chris Craft parts.

Eric

4. Raingod1969

Raingod1969 New Member

Dear Eric

Thank you very much for the information. This is incredibly helpful! I agree with you that the chances of a ACBS Chapter on the African continent are practically zero. I have forwarded your reply to Michael (owner of the Chris Craft) who is grateful for the new window of opportunity you have so kindly opened.

Many thanks and kind regards

Eugene

5. Eric Sponberg

Glad I was able to help.

Eric

6. BobR

BobR Junior Member

a 1920's Chris Craft Clipper - take some pictures and post them while it's being put together please!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.