crossmember question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cammo, Dec 22, 2005.

1. cammo

cammo Junior Member

Hi all, my restoration of an old runabout is progressing along nicely as the old boat still has good wood throughout, after taking out the rotted floor. I have a few stress cracks outside where cross members have been detached from their flimsly attachments to the hull. This caused too much flexibility and movement when being towed, as the rollers sat right where the crossmembers came away. So i have reinforced this area and reattached the crossmsembers. Now I have found one forward member that is short of the hull and had never been attached. What are the thoughts on reattaching this to the hull vs leaving as is. There are no stress cracks on the outside near this piece, just looking for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. llwjrw03

llwjrw03 Junior Member

question

is this your first restoration.if not i have some qeustions about my first restoration. email: llwjrw03@yahoo.com

3. llwjrw03

llwjrw03 Junior Member

cutting deck out of boat

what is the best way to cut the old deck out of a fiberglass boat

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

Hi cammo,
    I would guess the reason that front crossmember was not attached was because it is so close to the end of the longitudinal stringer that it rests on that there would be little benefit in attaching it. The fact that you say there are no stress cracks in that area (by the end of the longitudinal) would indicate that attaching the crossmember to the hull was indeed unnecessary.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.