Unwaxed resin and gelcoat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by idkfa, Feb 24, 2012.

1. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

I have unwaxed PE resin (drum). How long will/should the surface remain tacky? It DOES cure "dry" after a couple days in the sun, so I'm wondering if it actually has wax in it. No mention of wax on the label.

Similar thing happens to my clearly labelled "unwaxed gelcoat"???

My real concern is about a wax film developing and delaminating foam core from first glass layer. It will be laid on wet-on-wet primed and bogged and vacuum to position.

tks

2. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

Heck, I'd get pretty dry, too, after a couple days in the sun. But if it stays tacky for a day, it's most likely unwaxed. If you're laying up wet-to-wet, it really doesn't matter.

By the way, I've purchased "unwaxed" polyester in gallon cans that obviously WAS waxed.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Some resin types will surface cure rather quickly even without wax, especially if exposed to sunlight. Both resin and gel coat will typically become sort of tack free after a few days without wax, with wax they should be tack free shortly after they become hard.

4. idkfa

idkfa Senior Member

thanks guys

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Please explain a bit better ! wet on wet meaning wet foam onto wet hard glass ?? or wet csm ??and BOGGED AS IN WHAT ??
    Why not just use Core bond thats made specially for the job . it is magic stuff and has a slight amount of flex so sticks like brown stuff to a woollen blanket !!. Plus you possibly wont have any filling to do if you make sure your Pleel ply is laid properly and the flow out from under the core will take care of any and all the filling !!. Do make sure you have perfirated core and do make sure you prime the core with a generous coat of resin !! helps the core bond to flow better and a little faster !!REmemeber core bond will not flow throught the peel ply but the resin in the core bond will separate , gets sucked out and leaves you with just solids behind that will never go hard !!!!!
    So i ask the question how much vac pressure do you intend using ?? The question possibly never entered you mind !! suck is suck so what !! to much suck has a whole set of problems all of it own you know !! :p:p:):D:p:p:p

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I have unwaxed PE resin (drum). How long will/should the surface remain tacky? It DOES cure "dry" after a couple days in the sun, so I'm wondering if it actually has wax in it. No mention of wax on the label.

Similar thing happens to my clearly labelled "unwaxed gelcoat"???

The unwaxed is so you are able to carry on laying more glass and it will have a better secondary bond . Gelcoat is the same ,should be sticky to the touch even after two days , If not sticky then you could exsperiance problems when it comes time to glass over the gelcoat . :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.