Cross Indian ocean in 4 meters dinghy sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Nauticals, Mar 4, 2018.

1. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

I will unsuscribe.

”Designing” an ocean crossing sailboat with zero hours of either (even self) studying yacht design principles or actual sailing is arrogance and ignorance combined.

Nature of boats is really easy to read book. Skene’s yacht design book is also a good book.

You are making your own life harder by ignoring solutions others have figured out and wasting your time in building an inferior boat.

In an earlier post it was pointed out that volume in ends results in less comfort. You shrugged it off by stating that ut is an adventure.

Re-read those passages again and change comfort to survivability.

2. Nauticals

Nauticals Junior Member

@kerosene no comment, should i repeat that im not a boat designer or that i would had take a related course if i wanted to read a hundred books or this how i like to waste my time.. if you have something practical to suggest do so, otherwise you too wasting your time. I make it clear from the beginning what im looking for and im very thankful to all those that gave me links and practical info for related topics as it contribute a lot.

3. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

4. chinaseapirate

chinaseapirate Junior Member

This guy,

was a good friend of the man (notorious in Ferndale, Wa - at least the building inspectors) I was helping to complete the never ending construction of his house. I almost got to meet Alexander Doba- maybe I still will. The reason I mention this is because I don't believe his kayaks had extremely good luck crossing the Atlantic 3 times. It was its length and very low DLR that allowed him to cross so easily( and want to do it again!!). He and his friends built them, wise choice. If its just a money issue (the length of your boat) remember, (or learn for the first time - anyone out there in audience) an 8 meter kayak is a cheaper/easier/stronger build than a 4-5 meter "fatter" monohull. I would most certainly put some outriggers on it. Or even better a single longer one and turn it into a proa. Maybe I'm assuming too much, but since you seem specific in making a passage to Mauritius, i figure the destination is your main goal and not setting any record for "shortest boat" to cross such and such. If this is true, don't set your limit on what you think is manageable to build by length, figure it by weight, then design it 11:1 (Length to Beam at waterline-anything close). You will arrive quicker, sleep easier, and have taken a far less risk. If you plan on stopping or even are forced to land somewhere other than the final destination...bring an anchor - plan to land at 8-9 AM. The 2 -4 meter trade wind swells may seem like child's play out at sea but whole different story near shore - which is rarely the real shore anyways. Seriusly your more likely to be stranded on a deserted island or be eaaten by sharks near a coral head or just plain drown than having to experience capsize or sinking at sea. And if no one has mentioned it yet - you will get hypothermia even in 85 degree water eventually. I'll give you anything more specific you ask about design or experience at sea...I'm immune from scary ships pictures,hypothetical structural failures and seamonsters- just post a specific question- I'm also liability proof. If you know who the name associated with 1988 stars and stripes Olympic Catamaran design was, you should also note he was not an architect but a builder FIRST and LAST- he got veto power.

5. David Cooper

David Cooper Senior Member

What use are the tiny outriggers? If they're going to have hydrofoils on them, that might make sense, though only if the boat can go fast enough to generate useful force from them. If they're just little floats, all they'll do is add drag while the keel does most of the work of keeping the boat upright, while if you make them bigger, they make the keel redundant and may prevent recovery from capsize. It's a really awkward combination which doesn't yet make sense.

And why not read just one book on yacht design? It will save you money and time, as well as stopping you wasting a lot of good wood and other resources on something that may be truly woeful. It's fine to reject what you've learned afterwards if you find that you still have good reasons for going against more conventional designs, but you don't yet understand what you're rejecting.

kerosene likes this.
  6. Nauticals

Nauticals Junior Member

@David Cooper regarding the outriggers i was thinking that they re looking useless in that state. i want to keep the hull small. This sections are only draft, yet building a smaller hull (3.4m) just to test few things.

About books, indeed i agree with kerosene. What i was pointing out it was not about books itself but just the negativity of kerosene. He probably know far more than i know, or might not. But indeed forum communities are not about only to say read this and done because this will made any forum useless, because we could just have only a directory with description of books instead. Forums are for us to talk direct into a topic (i think) and share so we can make better.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I disagree that reference to books are not good. It is impossible to post the whole text of a book in each post. You have to do your homework and read these references.

kerosene likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.