Cross an ocean in a dinghy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Apr 3, 2010.

1. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

Yes, parts of the mission will be hellish, but look at serges adventure.

Got laid in the US without a passport and married a californian sailing a 12 dinghy lol

Partied with south african private yacht clubs and got high in panama.

Its a round the worlod adventure.

Not 18months of pure hell.

You guys are gay. :)

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Im pretty sure only Alan is gay, as for me I just want some of your stuff and as for the rest they are just looking out for your better interests.

PS
    crapping over the side is not so easy in the typical 7~10 meter waves you will be regularly encountering nor is it all that graceful when in port. That and one missed attempt and you just crapped on your only sleeping area and two months away from the nearest washing machine.

oh
    and I would plan on bringing a few extra of those sanitary wipes as well
    not sure about you but one per crap per day is not even the remotest of considerations in my book

ah almost forgot to wish you best of luck with the ladies cause one thing no one has discussed with you yet is what someone smells like coming off a month or two stuck in a dingy trying to crap over the side every few hours and only one wipe per day

a lot of rescues cap it off by throwing the dingy overboard and stripping down the victims right there on deck and screw trying to keep them warm untill you get some of the stench off of them

My grand daddy told a story about rescuing some folks adrift in a boat for a week and although he told the story different every time he always mentioned the smell
    apparently its pretty ugly and that from a guy who dealt with an outhouse most of his life

I say go for it
    sign me up in the will
    and have a great time
    no one so far is telling you to drop dead
    we are only trying to get you to take the attempt seriously
    why don't you start by studying boats that have done this and then coming back with a plan to successfully make this work
    for which you will need to first lay out your rout and give us that information
    as which point some of us might just surprise you with some helpful information
    basically you need a design and your talking to a bunch of designers
    sooooooo
    take some advise and loose the aluminum coffin
    plan your rout and present a few boats that have made that trip
    give a itinerary of the journey and what supplies including how much they weigh
    if your all that determined then do some planing and present the plan for scrutiny/abuse
    ( you never know what your going to get around here or maybe you have not seen the climate thread yet )

welcome to the world
    try not to drown in it :eek:

cheers
    B

3. stonedpirate

Nothing a hot shower wont fix. Not like i'll go clubbing as soon as i hit port.

As for crapping in rough weather, theres always jars.

As for keeping the area clean, i can take a bottle of concentrated washing liquid to keep the bacteria down.

There are solutions to everything.

I do need a design and i am studying the small boats of the past.

Waiting for a few books to be delievered before i submit a design here :p

Cheers

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Whoa! You are good lookin', Boston! If I wasn't a woman and married too, I'd help you to work that garden.

5. Boston

Boston Previous Member

you are twisted aren't you Alan
    I may have bought those melons
    I may have fondled those melons
    and although I may dream of it on a daily basis
    I do not own those melons

I just water them from time to time

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

going to be kinda difficult hitting a jar when your *** is upside down there mate

point being your going to need the space shuttle vacuum shitter complete with five point seat belts if your thinking your not going to end up sleeping with a turd on this little love boat your planing

this is exactly what we are talking about
    yes there is a solution to every problem
    but your not presenting them nor allowing us to present them
    sooooooooo
    give your plan a little try
    get a jar
    wait for a lovely day
    go anchor out a mile or so in that darling little dingy and start crapping for a week
    then walk up to the desk at your local hotel and ask for a room
    course you gotta get past the harbor masters office first and my bet is he'll want that boat parked downwind somewhere

what you want is solutions that make it all possible
    not daft ideas that leave you needing surgery to get a jar out of your ***

just saying brother
    just saying

love
    B

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hey Jeff
    do I really have to post only clothed girls on this thing
    I thought the three ****** girl I posted over on the random pictures thread kinda added some zing to the whole show
    although I did take her down once someone mentioned there might be kids watching

8. stonedpirate

Well, people have been shitting on boats for hundreds of years. Its hardly a deal breaker.

9. GTO

GTO Senior Member

I suggest ship avoidance should be high on the to-do list.
    AIS, active radar reflector, and even a radar setup with a perimeter alarm would not be overkill in my opinion. I doubt large vessel crews will visually see you except in the calmest of seas/weather.
    The ocean is much more crowded than in the good old days.

I also think moisture mitigation is something that should be seriously considered. All the small boat captains stayed wet their entire voyage - both by water onboard and 100% humidity. I think most ended up with skin infections. Such infections these days are potentially of the antibiotic resistant kind, also being way more virulent.
    Figuring out a way to stay clean and dry would be a smart thing to do.

Time has marched and the world has changed. Island natives aren't so naive, everywhere is more crowded, and bugs are meaner. I feel the romantic age of small boat adventures is just about over, if not already so.

Not that someone that wants to do it shouldn't, its just no one really cares anymore. The French guy is sailing around the world nonstop in a 21 foot boat. Very few have any interest. If you were a well developed 12 yr old girl, you could probably fire up some type of interest, maybe get a few sponsors. :D

Good luck if you go. I do hope you make it, while having a grand adventure too. Heck, even if you only go 1/4 of the way, I'll buy your book!

10. souljour2000

souljour2000 Senior Member

SP...I am sure you have seen some of these "sea-eggs" and other micro- boats of the sea-going variety...many are very deep-hulled with mass quantities of lead ballast down low....and as such the designs are attempting to get the pilot as high out of the water in his little perch as possible...there is something to this problem of keeping the boat dry in many of the anecdotal accounts of such sailing attempts that I've read over the last couple years and obviously many of us are talking alot about this " staying dry problem" in this thread and for good reason....

....I'd like to say that this is merely a problem that some really good North Cali Hydroponic could cure.....:p .... but it may require a bit more time and some really creative problem-solving/critical thinking/research to come up with a real-world answer...The tone of your overall approach may seem very nonchalant and maybe that's whats irking some in here who apparently think you should be more humble and awed by the audacity of your own proposal or something...I dunno...perhaps you should..perhaps not....I'm not the best judge of character but yet I sense that your no dummy though...despite what some of the peanut gallery seem to think...I think if you do have some sense then you are tossing alot around in your head with this idea... and as such are just trying to air out some of the cobwebs with your posts in here...despite the clear and present danger of being attacked by nattering nabobs of negativism...however well-meaning they are...and I genuinely think most are...but some of them should perhaps just move on to another thread....

I do think you'll work it out if you really want to do this thing...or you'll die doing something that most wouldn't have a) the balls or b) the "stupid" ....to attempt...pick one...

11. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi StonedPirate,

We have had a good laugh, some are very persimistic, some think you are nuts, but lets turn it positive. You are not the only one. Often when I drive to Cape Town, I pass a few cyclist loaded with sleeping bags, legs burned brown from the sun. I always hoot a few times and get a tumb up when passing. They probably are cycling around the world, most of them do in anyway. Similar like you. What is the difference, to get nearly knocked down by a passing big truck or a big wave at sea. But you will make it, I have no doubt that you will start your journey. If you do pass Mosselbay or Cape Town, give me a shout, I buy you a beer. Please do include a satelite phone in your luggage, make sure, your Internet can be connected to this satelite phone. I will even pay for the call. This maybe the way to go and get some sponsorship by telling your feelings and story via the Internet while you are floating at the sea. Get a list of all the boat.net people who live along the coast in the wolrd. Go for it man. If it is true that you were for 6 weeks in the desert on your own. You will make it.

Sorry, one of my horses jumped a fence and damaged herself badly. I will have to sign off for a few days. Stoned, go for it. Please do give us your list at what you are planning to take on board.
    Good luck.

12. stonedpirate

Thanks a lot for the encouragement Bert.

I will post a more detailed plan when i am further along. I am still waiting for a bunch of books to arrive that i ordered at the start of the week. So far have spent about $500 just on books :p

Once i have read through them i can start posting some serious designs, build photos and plans.

I see what you're saying Souljour. My online persona is crazier than the real me. But once this thing gets going, they will see i'm not just trolling.

As for staying dry, i have thought a lot about this. First, i think ventilation will be the key. Serge had a problem with being cooked in an aliminium oven. I will be in a ply box lined with closed cell foam. With a decent vent up front and back, i can get a lot of air moving though the coffin section that i will be sitting and sleeping in. I also thought about stringing a hammock like net across the middle between the left and right lockers. That will keep me off the floor and have as little contact as possible. If i make it tight enough and create some sort of seatbelt like harness, it will keep me from getting swung about. Still an eary idea but i will try fless it out later.

Thanks GTO. Radar is a must. There is no way i could sleep know all these ships are moving about. I will wake to the alarm and avoid all boats well in advance. As for sea containers and whales, i'm at the same risk as everyone else.

Not worried about publicity or sponsorship. Really just doing it for the adventure a lot like Evgeny Gsodvez or whatever his name was. He could have built his boat half a foot smaller and beat the record, but seems he wasnt interested in setting records.

13. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

1; Avoid, at what speed? 2 knots? Most ships you'll meet will run 1/0, and if the feller is at the toilet nobody will ever miss you... Drop the radar, you'll only going to learn what'll happen next... Go for a (active) radar reflector...

2; Evgeny died....no "record" in that "episode", as we all have one life, its kinda a I/0 function (on/off). Nobody can put more on the scale than that.

Bigger; better life.
    Training/ experience will show (you) that most comments here are valid.

If I were to speak for my self; I know for a fact that 2 weeks in a small (26') boat is getting ME on my nerves.... But up til that point, I also know that I'll enjoy the time before that, also a kinda I/0 function...:D

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

It was a pleasure.

Yes I know how expensive they are.

You hit the nail on its head. Also you need a methode to get wet clothing dry during days of bad weather.

With a radar, you need a mast. With a mast and a heavy radar aerial, you need Sealed lead acid batteries right down under your feet to bring the center of gravity down. You need lead in anyway right under your feet. Thus you may as well use heavy Sealed Lead Acid Batteries. (for whatever, and thus you need a fexible solar panel of at least 50 watt. )

My proposal is to approach CNN and have via the satelite phone connection, your day to day experience on their website. Companies in the yachting line would advertise. It gives you some extra motivation and their help in your safety,

Bert

15. stonedpirate

Its still good to know where they are and have some advanced warning. You can calculate trajectories and avoid the paths of collision with enough warning plus i have my outboard. Even at 2 knots and enough warning i'll stand a chance.

He died on the third time round. If his boat was smaller he would have broke it the first 2 times.

I will be wearing a sharksin suit.

http://www.sharkskin.com.au/

They keep your body heat in even when soaking wet. I slept on the beach in one once on a kayak expedition. I was warm all night with no sleeping bag, and it was wet. I will take no sleeping bag in the boat as it will just be a wet nuisance.

Sea boils will be the main problem i think.

No idea how to dry clothes from the inside. Was just going to hang them from a stay when the weathers good in the day.

I doubt mainstream media would be interested because of its dangerous nature. The world is scared these days and no one wants liability issues. Publicity might come if i set the record, before that, very few people will know about it and if i die, i simply disappear.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.