Cross an ocean in a dinghy?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Apr 3, 2010.

1. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

to stoned pirate...

is it ok to ask how old you are? Maybe that is irrelevant

If you had a year or so of sailing experience and then wanted to attempt the voyage you speak of, few people would really quibble. They would say that is a hard ask, it is difficult and would not do it themselves, but you can do what you wish to do.

In your case you have zero sailing experience. That is the issue. People are politely suggesting getting a little experience before doing a difficult trip, that is all.

I am sure you can find a second hand 20ft boat for very little money. A boat that is structurally sound, though cosmetically not great. Take that sailing for awhile, learn about ropes, electircs, navigation, and radios and reefing, and water, and food, and cooking at sea, and self steering, and more.

I am not a very experienced sailor, have done a little, with many stuff ups, but I have done somethings at least. You learn by doing.

For a small boat you describe, the weight of a leaded or steel keel is worthwhile in terms of righting moment. Just take peoples word on this.

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

I have FREEship v2.6.
    Also the draft as drawn would be 30 inches, no water ballast but plenty of room for drinking water storage.

3. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

I would say that most of us love to dream about downright impractical things and feats in boating and that is why we are continuing this thread even though we have fallen for a total troll.

Let's face it, the exercise is just plain old fun.

4. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

How is that any easier than sailing? I hate rowing. I sold my kayak. I'd rather swim the atlantic :p

I dont have to beat fathers day. I only have to beat serge testa for worlds smallest boat circumnavigation.

I need to cross the atlantic, indian and pacific with a brief stint in the souther ocean in a 10 footer :p

True. He had skill but no money and living in a poor economy. I have no skills, but have the money to finance a decent boat. Its just a matter of getting skills. I doubt Evgeny is smarter than me.

I've thought a lot about my motivations for doing it and have concluded i am a nutbar. Thats not to say i wont do it.

Why wouldnt the panama canal be considered a true global circuit? Serge went through the canal.

I would go horn though, because the canal now has boat size limits and wont let me through. I would have to trailer the boat across panama.

Its been done. That serial killer did it twice in an 8 foot tub. And he looked retarded.

acrohc australis sailed by serge testa. Just under 12'

5. stonedpirate

$$$$

I'm not ******* retarded. I am having nightmares about ships crashing into me, 40 foot waves, humpback whales, giant squid, malaria, staph infections, sea boils, sea sickness, sea contatiners, pirates, the government, the media, hypothermia, boat failure, starving or thirsting to death etc etc.

Lots to think about and prepare for.

Nice hulls Gilbert and Lewis. There is no way i could make a round hull like Gilberts in sticht and glue. Will have to stick with 3 hard chines for simplicities sake.

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Good point.

7. uncleralph

uncleralph Junior Member

8. raw

raw Senior Member

Just in case you were really serious.....

acrohc australis can be viewed first hand fully rigged in Brisbane. I saw it a few weeks ago.

It's built like a tank.

9. RHP

RHP Senior Member

10. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Its way more than just a matter of getting skills. Its a matter of physiology more than skill. There are a lot of people out there with the skills and possibly the desire but damn few have what it takes physically. Unless you have taken yourself to the absolute limits of your physical well being under similar circumstances there is no way to predict how you will do. This is the prep that takes a long time to test and develop. Far longer than aquiring the sailing skills. Astronauts spend years in this type of training and testing before they can venture into a hostile environment with little hope of fast rescue should things deteriorate.

Seasickness is a real killer and not just something you get over with a few weeks at sea. Death can come within hours of the onset of symptoms.

Heat and cold are two more killers that you may not be able to easily overcome once out there.

Add heat or cold with seasickness and you are as good as dead.

Do you know how you react to the extreme circumstance that are to be found at sea?

11. stonedpirate

Excuses excuses.

That guy was 77 years old and probably a life long chain smoking alcoholic.

I'll soon find out :p

If my local storm trials dont kill me and i hate it, i can always turn back and use it as a local mini cruiser :p

12. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Excuse me for taking the bait one more time :D

13. stonedpirate

I aint trolling.

But this is not a job for NASA, the coast guard or superman.

Think about it, a broke 77 year old drunk mechanic from russia, a 29 year old 2 bit welder from down under and a middle aged school teacher done it.

None of them renound for their intelligence or athletic ability.

Ordinary people crossing oceans is doable.

14. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

SP sometimes the more athletic you are the more at risk you are for problems. The better balance you have the more suseptable you are to sea sickness.

The fact is unless you have tested yourself, you have no idea whats in store for you. I still think you have more than one line trailing out back but I am in the mood to bite. This kind of nonsense is entertaining to me.

15. stonedpirate

Its all nonsense until i actually do it and you're reading my book :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.