Creating Moulds - Hands Off !

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by AppleNation, Dec 22, 2008.

1. divinesd

divinesd Divine service & design

A friend of mine told me a simple method to make a good mould, as we do ourselves nowadays. We've changed our design structure and started to cut as much wooden sections CNC(laser) as is possible. We place all sections in the same height position as we have designed. And then starting to build our mould from outside in. This saves the time to build a positive model. But it's an idea and I am not sure if it works for you.

2. AppleNation

AppleNation Junior Member

Ok, so the obvious next question....

What if I want a very precise male mould? - is this just what you guys also call a plug?

Is it best to do it by hand.. or is a cnc type deal here ok?

Thanks.

3. AppleNation

after thinking about it, Plug questions was silly question i think....

4. divinesd

divinesd Divine service & design

We cut CNC female plywood sections. (as many as possible) Build the whole construction. Make sure it is all at the same level (offset from floor). Then apply wooden strips. You're building a boat inside out. Sand it with P80-120. Apply epoxy. Apply filler (rough and fine) and smooth the surface as it should be. Apply epoxy(colour). Then strengthen the outside of the mould with fibreglass and epoxy resin. Let the construction cure at least for 1 week.

In our experience we calculate with a hull offset of 200microns for the design of the cnc cut sections.

5. AppleNation

guys... been researching more and there are some people with CNC machines that can make direct female moulds.

Prices seem reasonable... quotes of 110 per square foot.... for soft mould - reckon 1-15 boats out of it... made of some sort of foam and woods and other stuff....

only prob is max temp is 80C..

6. InetRoadkill

InetRoadkill Junior Member

Anyone using C-Flex rather than using a full mold? How's it work for ya?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.