Creating hull, deck, superstructure, bowtruster etc., in Rhino...?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Asenyge, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Asenyge

Asenyge Junior Member

Hi,

I am a bit new to Rhino, so if anyone here can help me, regarding how to create the deck, superstructure, bowtruster etc., for an excisting hull already designed in Rhino, it will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. L.DOSSO

L.DOSSO Junior Member

hi,
    If it is a sailboat hull in which the superstructure (cabin roof) is rather small, the main part of the superstucture for your boat will be deck.
    In this case you have to give deck camber so that water exit more easily the deck.
    Only with Rhino, this deck,with a camber in it, won't be easy to do, but you can try, see my dwgs !
    Good luck !
    Lucas

Attached Files:

3. Asenyge

Asenyge Junior Member

Thanks for your drawings!

I was more looking for help/tutorials for creating the deck, superstructure, bowtruster etc., for yachts, and vessels. I have tried to create it myself, simply by trying and trying and then try again - learning new things all the time - but isn't there any tutorial available out there...?

4. orisj

orisj orisj

I use Rhino for boat design a lot. Here's some tricks (sorry no real tutorial):

For hull use command: "create surface from network of curves", the curves being a couple of section lines (as few as possible), keel line, sheer line and transom line that you've created to start with (this takes some time to get it right). Begin with only one side of the hull, after completing use "mirror" command. For deck I use the "sweep 2 rails" command a lot. Other much used commands: "extrude closed planar curve", and " duplicate edge". Very useful command: "project curve to surface" (for just about any line you need projected on your hull.

good luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.