Building Academy - Lyme Regis

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Gaz88, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Gaz88

Gaz88 New Member

I was hoping I could get some feedback from people who have completed, or know someone, who has of the 38 week boat building academy in Lyme Regis.

I'm 36 and have have now decided I want a career change after becoming totally disillusioned with driving instructing for the last 7 years. I was looking at different boat building courses & have come across the 38 week course in Lyme Regis.

To be honest, I don't have any experience at all in wood working so was wondering if I could actually make this my new career. Has anyone done the course to gain good employment afterwards?

Gaz

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

You will find lots of threads of people who wanted to make a living out of building boats - but even for experienced people, its not that easy. Check out some boatbuilding videos on Youtube to start with.

Might I suggest you take up woodwork part time, in the form of cabinet and furniture making first, then gradually start to build a few small boats. You have a much better chance of making a living from wood that way.

There is only a very small demand for amateur built small boats,

3. Gaz88

Gaz88 New Member

Actually the academy has a 12 week woodworking course, which I was also considering. I agree with what you say. It does makes sense to get some woodworking experience which could possible open a wider range of opportunities.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those short courses are not to prepare you to be a professional. If you want to become a shipwright they have a two year course. The only person I know that came out of that program and works full time on boats is Ian Bowles in Totnes.