Crane-lifting an 80-Foot/26m 91-Year-Old Wooden Yacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Denali.Amida.YP146, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Denali.Amida.YP146

Denali.Amida.YP146 Rick Coyle | KoKa Media | Portland, OR | USA

Thanks Mark. We’ve been at this for a while and we have a very knowledgeable naval architect on the advisory board - Patrick Bray out of BC and we have a couple other architects and designers who will add their input at later stages including Philippe Starck. We have several mechanical engineers, a 9-year veteran of the USCG who is an ABYC diesel marine mechanic, we have a few wooden boat builders and the owner of the yard mentioned in earlier posts is in our meetup group. And we welcome anyone who wants to participate in the open source project that we are only just beginning to organize. It may not end up being with Denali but there will be a Zero-net energy vessel with 3D printed parts and open-source technology that we will modify and adapt and contribute back to the community. This entire project is a volunteer effort with a team made up of mostly knowledgeable professionals, with amateurs and novices that are under supervision or mentorship. Much of the design work and labor will be as well. And don’t worry, if we “fail” we fail. It’s not about the end it’s about the journey and what we learn from the experience.

2. M&M Ovenden

M&M Ovenden Senior Member

Hi Rick,
    I had just assumed from the questions being raised here you didn't have those folks on staff.
    Mark

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Have you considered contacting another wooden shipwright. He is working on an old wooden sailboat restoration in the PNW.

Here is his email address. leogoolden (spaces and words inserted for spam bots ) at sign gmail dot com

He is an English trained fellow working on Tally Ho. He might have some old world methods to help or at least some helpful advice. He lifted her off the keel, so he might have some good insight for you and how many wooden shipwrights are there in the PNW?

4. Denali.Amida.YP146

No worries Mark, we don't have a "staff" per se - all of the work going into this project is volunteer driven including my own. That said, we started as one individual and an idea, and now we have about 15 professionals from varying disciplines on our core team and another 60 or so people who have offered to help with labor and miscellaneous needs when they are able. I've been getting to know a few of the local shipwrights and some have been very helpful with advice after I bug them enough or show up at their yard. I'm also grateful to have a forum like this when I have a question but can't get in touch with someone from our team.

5. Denali.Amida.YP146

Thanks Fallguy! I appreciate the link. I will try to connect with Leo. There are a couple of wooden boat schools in the PNW but I don't know about shipwrights other than Astoria Marine Construction which is where Denali was hauled out in 2000 (not 2005 as previously stated). But I think AMCO is closed for good now. I think "old world methods" are exactly what we need right now along with some hospitality.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.