Design a pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Saeed.B, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

Hi everyone
    I have a student project and need to design a pontoon boat by Industrial standards like DNV-GL, BV or ABYC. I have DNV standard but i can't access ABYC standards. does anyone help me? PLEASE...
    I should deliver my project in less than a month. is there any way that i can download ABYC standards? specifically for pontoon boats design?
    I have H-35, T-1, T-5, but i need s-7, s-12 and s-30.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Could you use the rules for "Special Service Craft" by Lloyd's Register ?. If so, I think I could help you.

3. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

well, I don't know. for designing a pontoon boat by using LR, I should use this part of Standard?
    If it's true, yes I can use LR for design.
    Thank You So Much!!!

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The regulation "SSC" by Lloyd's is used a lot for special vessels, fundamentally of small lengths, and I believe that it can be suitable for your pontoon. In any case, it is best that you consult with your teachers.

5. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

Well thank you for your guidance. I have a question, I use DNV High Speed Light Craft standards for designing pontoon boats. Am I using the right part of DNV?

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

No, I think you are using rules that are much more demanding than those required for a pontoon.

7. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

You mean that rules are much more complicated than they need?!
    So if I wanna use DNV, which part of it is the correct part?!

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

It does not have to be more difficult to apply, it is simply more demanding because normal boats are subject to different loads than pontoons. For example, accelerations due to speed are much greater. This will lead, for example, to scantlings larger than necessary and, therefore, greater weight. You must look in the regulation of the DNV (which is now DNV-GL) the chapter corresponding to pontoons or barges.

9. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

Thanks a lot.
    Any chance that you know how I can find ABYC standards?! I can't pay for them.
    At least not that price.
    And in LR, how could I use it for designing a pontoon boat?!

10. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not think the ABYC rules are the right ones for a pontoon.
    On the web pages of each CS, their rules can be downloaded, free of charge. Lloyd's, like any other CS, has specific chapters for pontoons and barges. Enter its web page and search for them.
    My opinion, and I hope it does not bother you, is that in a month nobody is able to understand and correctly use the regulations of a Classification Society, and even less if you have to perform the calculations by hand. So my advice is that you seek help from someone used to working with them.

11. Saeed.B

Saeed.B Junior Member

Thank you so much for your guidance.
    I will try.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.