Craig Loomes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Sean Herron, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Pushing the envelope aside...

Hello...

Seems I have opened the proverbial and some times tasty can of worms...

As for girls - well you can get your protein where you like it...

Worms are good protein - WHAT...

Looking at Mr. Loomes work I just think he is on to something if you are not looking to 'farm at sea' - if you are - go get yourself a wallowing pig that does 4 knots in 20 knots of wind or same as displacement power - if you want to just cruise at high speed whilst consuming very little fuel - very 'contemporary' with the ECO GREEN terrorists - well - the physics create the form - as they have done for the last few centuries of yacht design and the historical evolution of industrial manufacturing and material science ...

Personal preference of asthetic is not design or engineering - but it is human - to argue an apple against an orange is a waste of everyones time...

What you see is simply a very well designed solution to going fast for little money - unless you go berth by length and width... :)

Full stop - I need to mix another drink Doctor...

SH.

2. Palmer

Palmer Junior Member

I could live without the vertical stabilizers but otherwise they're pretty cool. A way scaled down version would probably make a pretty effecient commuter.

3. Sean Herron

4. icetreader

icetreader Senior Member

Five stars rating

:D
    I rated this thread 5 stars: It goes not only to questions like "How to" and "How much" but more profoundly to "What" and even "Why"...:D

Yoav

5. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

yeah, I'm kinda with both sides of the argument on this one, but first.... what are those little fin-things on top for? just styling presumably.

Ok, the hull is going to be more easily powered than a monohull at speed, but then, there's less of it. so consequently, less will fit in, which means going bigger, thus increased mooring fees/lifting costs.

Out of interest, anyone see any problems with a 60ft stepped mono with surface drives? ( or jet drives) only efficient at high speed though.

Cheers,

Tim B.

6. Sean Herron

Cat ears...

Hello...

I imagine those fins would function as 'stack pipes' for the engine exhausts...

I would kill 'em and go wet...

SH.

7. yipster

yipster designer

right, put in a HYDROGEN REACTOR :idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aint no ECO GREEN terrorist charging and its a pitty money is tight every where but this call is a great challance :cool:

http://www.earthrace.net/

8. yipster

yipster designer

does it amaze you also that the focus seems exclusively on how to drive H2 cars instead of sailing a boat on H2+O? here a bunch of interesting sea water calculaters research on clean renewable energy cost me $50 tax extra alone on my energy bill. ofcourse you can also grow alges, corn or potatoes for diesel propulsion on your boat and a smart contender in this earthrace may simply resort to a form of expensive clean energy? ah, and will a sailboat do?

9. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Eco-green terrorists? What do you mean by that? Anarcho-environmentalists who blow up chemical plants and animal testing facilities? That sort of thing?

10. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Nuclear! The fastest displacement boats in the world are nuclear, granted that design is not nuclear but can you imagine what a planing craft could do with a tiny nuclear reactor.

11. Armada

Armada Junior Member

Everbody have different ideas about sex. This may be sexy for a rich guy who wants a sexy toy. I do not believe that any trimaran will ever surpass cat technically. On heavy seas the full load is always on one of the side hulls which are weaker than the main hull. Look at Jeronimo at the Orix Quest. Couldn't keep up with the cats and started to limp even before reaching the mid point and eventually the structural damage made it to quit at down under.
    And they had all the money, tech. guys, sponsors etc. etc.

12. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

Let's compare apples to apples here. Sailing tris are completely different then power tris in what they are trying to acheive. First, any multihull can be damaged by waves. It is one of the problems with having a bridge deck. Secondly, didn't Ellen just go around the world in a tri of all things? And the guy she beat also sailed in a tri. If you look at sailing cats and tris there are lots of differences. But structurally they still face the same problems. Doesn't the latest maxi cat orange II have a central beam running fore and aft? If this was alittle bigger, would that be considered a tri? They use this beam to manage fore and aft compression forces from the forestay, mainsheet, and mast. I think the tris mainhull would be stiffer and thus handle these loads better. Also, I think tris can be built to be more powerful. Do you not see wider tris then cats? You can only have so much force on a composite beam whether cat or tri. Any race has its degree of luck. Catch that one wave and your screwed. I remind you that Cheyenne also limped home without a rig.

Power craft are completely different. Power tris are designed to minimize wetted surface and extend the main waterline as much as possible. The amas are only there for minimum stability, otherwise what's the point? They do not need to counteract the force of sails. I think these designs are interesting but I do not think they will beat orange II's record of 50 days around the world. I think only a nuclear sub or such could achieve that. I would also be careful of posting others work with a different title block around it. If you saw Craig Loomes work then you saw his mini demo, which looks a lot like the craft posted above. Great concept, too bad it isn't yours.

13. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Sexy? Bah. Sexy is traditional. Get me a traditional sailboat with modern features and POW...sexy.

14. chandler

chandler Senior Member

What do you consider modern features? Is there anything sexier than a N Y 30 or a Concordia yawl???

15. yipster

yipster designer

well said quicksail and guess you did allready read john-shuttleworth's exellent articles.
    talking powerboat here but for sail goes this curve from his site that illustrates a tri (with high buoyance amas) vs cat rightning moment
    [​IMG]

(ps geronimo was ahead of the cats before breakdown! now does geronimo still holds the jules verne throphy?)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.