honeycomb core edge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hardcoreducknut, Oct 9, 2012.

1. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

I'm getting ready to cut out holes for dry storage on my stitch-n-glue that I've built with plascore. I want a nice, even rounded edge. I tested using a router on some scrap and didn't get very good results. Problem is, using a router is difficult because the guide wants to move in-out with the exposed holes in the edge of the core. It's not a straight and solid surface.

Any ideas/tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think your only choice is to glue a ring with the radius you want to the inside of the hole.

3. iceboater

iceboater Junior Member

I would set up guide for the router on the outside of the hole and first cut the hole with straight router bit with the diameter of
    the bering on rounded edge bit. Then use the rounded edge bit to make the edge using the same guide without moving it.

Axel

4. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

i would glue in some wood or foam for an edge,dado out a grove to match plascore thickness this will leave a little material proud to keep the water out and your dry boxs dry.

or go the other way and route a grove in the core and mill a tongue on the wood then you can round over the edge.

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Back in 1980 i worked on an IOR maxi race boat build where we used F board aluminum honeycomb panels for all the interior, we routed out the core around the perimeter of every cut edge about 3/8" deep and backfilled it with epoxy/silica.

Steve.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Any of those honey combed cores i have always used foam strips around the edge and cut a chamfer to make the transition . fir it are the same time as you do the core H 80 is easy to cut on a band saw ! and just round the top edge with a block and sand paper the transition is not a 45 degree but should be more like a 30 degree angle !!:)

7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The board manufacturer, should have a guide for this work. With the tools and the strips, epoxy, and all.