cracked block

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by shelbygone, Aug 9, 2006.

1. shelbygone

shelbygone Junior Member

:confused: anybody out there have any suggestions on fixing a cracked engine block? glue,epoxy,prayer? i had a guy from a welding shop look at it and he said it would probably spider crack so i guess thats out.:( i'm not very happy. thanks guys.(and girls).

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It can be welded. Find a welder that is familiar with engine block alloys. However, it may be expensive.

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Welding blocks aint easy, it depends on where the crack is, it may need the block in a furnace to heat up the whole block , this of course is a major strip down and some would say needing line boring after. You might as well stop right there and buy a short motor.
    OR again depending on where the crack is there is a technic called cold stitching. this is basically drill a hole right at the end of the crack ( not easy to determine) and thread it and put in a plug. You then drill through half the the plug and crack thread and plug again, repeat till crack filled .
    I beleive you can buy a kit to do it yourself. Someone had a thread on this not so long since.
    I had a piece of block the size of your hand come out of a Chevy 350 due to freezing damage. I cold stitched it,-- cost a fortune, lesson learned should'v bought a short motor. Oh well

4. grumpygrady

grumpygrady landlubber

if the crack is in a water jacket area you can use waterglass in the cooling system to stop it up this is what they use on the on the road trucks and equipment when they crack a block from cold or flex

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.