Twin rig beach cat?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Matt Lingley, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Matt Lingley

Matt Lingley Junior Member

Ok, I'm a bit inspired by Yves Parlier's cat here, and I also designed and built a 1 meter r/c model cat before I saw that with twin rigs that seems imposible to capsize (sideways anyway!) or even fly a hull. Twin rigs really do seem to work for cats when put on a lightweight platform. Now I'm wondering about building a little bigger, say 16-18' LOA, lowish aspect twin una rigs with somwhere around 12-14sqm each, for one or two crew. T foil rudders for cert, they really helped with the model to stop it digging the bows, possibly even full on foils (later project perhaps). Also I'm thinking super narrow hulls (10" max hull beam say?). Basically a really light (target say<110kgs), easily driven machine with alot of rig that it will (hopefully) be able to hold through quite a big wind range.
    So, now I need some real experts to tell me if this would be possible or if its just too mad!

2. grob

grob www.windknife.com

Hi Matt,

I've built a boat along the same lines using two windsurfing rigs as these are very cheap and lightweight. It is finally finished but I still haven't had the opportunity to sail it yet due to family and work commitments. It should be in the water soon and I will let you know how the twin rigs work.

For more details see www.fourhulls.com

All the best

Gareth

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.