Crack Filler Dispenser

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by ancient kayaker, Mar 13, 2013.

1. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

There is more skill in using a caulk gun than most realize. I've gotten pretty good over the years (brag brag) but I still don't like those squeezy tubes. Usually if forced to use them for small jobs I use a polyethylene syringe like from vet supply or plastics supply (like U.S. Plastics) and fill it from the caulk gun or tube. This way I never cut the applicator tip and the tube keeps better. Gives me great control and easier on the tendons to push the plunger. Yeah it hits me $0.30 to a $1.00 every time but I find it worthwhile.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You should be able to pull the dried contents from those poly syringes and re-use them.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I use syringes too and I get them from both veterinary supply and a local doctor's supply.

[​IMG]

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Me too, they're cheap at the local farmer's supply store. Easier for getting filler into a narrow crack: even with the "dispenser" there isn't enough pressure. Of course, I can still use the dispenser to fill the syringe . . .

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Air bubbles are easy to remove from a syringe Michael. It also depends on how you load the syringe, though really thick goo can be more trouble. Goo in a tube is just a way of increasing margins for the formulator. You pay twice as much for resin and several times as much for the filler content, not to mention the tube. A tube product is for those that don't use much. It's like a caulk - you can use a 10 - 12 ounce cartridge, maybe in a pneumatic powered dispenser, like I do or you can by a few ounces in a tube and maybe use it all up in a year or two.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

there is no economy in buying a bulk sized tube, and you do not use it up in your near term projects. Than the next time you need it, it has become too stiff to use. so you throw it out.

More than a few times I have bit the bullet and bought the small tube for more than twice the per oz cost of the larger container because I knew I was likely to toss much of what is left if I could not use it within the next few months.

this is one of the vexing issues with hobby or part time builders, much of the materials you buy have expiration dates and will not be suitable for use (at least in critical applications) if they have sat around too long waiting for you to get enough time to finish the project.

8. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I put a little vaseline on the tip before replacing the cap if I don't expect to use the tube for a while, stops it drying out. Works on all solvent-based glues and fillers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.