I Need Help I Want More Hp!!!!

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by ROBERT PARKER, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ROBERT PARKER

ROBERT PARKER TATTOO4U

I HAVE A 26 FT SLEEK CRAFT I JUST PICKED UP AND I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A 540 BBC I HAVE IN THE BOAT. IT CAME WITH A 350 SBC AND THE 290 VOVLO OUT DRIVE. IVE BEEN TOLD TO HAVE THE SHAFT IN THE LOWER END HEATED (HARDEND) and i should be ok. IT IS THE SINGLE PROP. I WOULD LIKE TO GET THE DULPROP LOWER END BUT AM I WAISTING MY $ ON THIS OUT DRIVE???? ALSO IS IT A BIG DEAL WITH CHANGING FROM SMALL BLOCK TO BIG BLOCK? ONE MORE THANG WHATS UP WITH RUNNING DRY exhaust manifolds. DO I HAVE TO RUN A WET SYSTEM???

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

I believe All Chev. V/8 Bell housings are the same - should bolt right up. Motor mounts most likely need to be changed. In addition, most gaskets, Distributor, alternator and Starter, not to mention Exhaust will need to be marine.

Unless your Engine has NO Deck etc, around it, You're looking at a real Fire Hazard with car type exhaust.

If you need more power, I would stay with the Sm Block. Just be sure, you stay with a Torque cam. 500 HP shouldn't be a problem.

The difference between 500 and 600 HP on a boat that size is less than 5 mph

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.