Hamilton 771 / Subaru Inquiry

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by diesels, Feb 25, 2005.

1. diesels

diesels Junior Member

I have a 200hr Hamilton 771 jet unit left over from a V-8 conversion. Any one have any experience mating this pump to a Subaru H-4 engine? The Subie's are cheap like dirt. I have a good 16ft fiber hull to repower. Any list members know a North Amercian source for the needed parts to adapt the Subie to the Hamilton?

I have tried the NZ / AU builders, but they seem to want to sell new boats. I need to communicate with someone who has pratical experience in getting this combo going. Anyone know a good source for couplings? Any sites that detail this type of repower? I have the Wooden Boat with the Subie project detailed. I want to have a thinwater planning boat when done.

How to hear from you guys - thanks diesels

2. silverback

silverback Junior Member

Hamilton 771

This thread appears to be open still. How is your project going? I have a 770 Series Manual. If your project is still going, please reply.

3. diesels

diesels Junior Member

Hello, Silverback. Could you copy the Hamilton 770 series manual? Let me know how much if you can. I've run jetboats in the Kuskokwim drainage for 5 yrs. had to sell my duckworth 17' a while back. I want to get back into a jetboat without the bloodletting bank loan. We have 8" of snow now. I hope to get 'er done this winter. Thanks for your response. - Diesels

4. silverback

silverback Junior Member

I can copy the 770 Series manual. I would like some info on your jet unit and the Subaru engine ( I drive a Subaru ). The jet unit is of the 770 series. Single stage is '771', two stage '772', etc, 773. You have?? And what type of engine used to be connected to it? What H4 engine do you have?? Horsepower and rpm? Carb. or fuel injected? I am not a stranger to Alaska. I returned from SE in September. When you had your jet boat on the Kuskokwim, what sandtrap did you use? Did the silt eat up the cutless bearings and wear rings? Do not concern yourself with costs for duplication, I need to scan it anyway. Regards.

5. diesels

diesels Junior Member

I ran a chevy 181cu in 4 cylinder 105 hp. no SAND TRAP. and I had no trouble with the cutlass bearing. The impeller was a medium. The coupler was a rubber doughnut. I could plane about 900lbs with gas consumption at ablut 7gph. I am still trying to choose an engine. The VW turbo-diesel looks good also, with pumpgas costing $4.19 a GAL since last fuel barge. What part of the country are you in? If you scan the manual could I get a disc?

6. silverback

silverback Junior Member

I'm in Seattle. You can have a disc. With 105 HP, you have a single stage pump. Does the input shaft have splines or flanged coupling?
    Are you going to attend Fish Expo?

7. diesels

diesels Junior Member

I have an adapter to a bolt-flange which then bolts-up to the doughnut. my unit is low-time-so I never had to re do the cutlass bearing. - diesels

8. tuttlec

tuttlec New Member

vw turbo diesel

Greetings Diesel

I just read your thred. I live in the Maine coastal bush. Building a small downeast lobster boat. semi planing, We would like to diesel jetdrive it. need to be educated and find resources. I teach boatbuilding for a living. want to experiment with new technology at school. we do bio-diesel
    clint

9. subajet

subajet New Member

Hey there, came across your querries when searching for stuff on the net. I have had a lot to do with suby engines in jet boats and am currently running a 2 litre turbo with a single stage hamilton jet unit. Very good combination!!
    I have also run 1800 subys and 2.2 litre subys.
    If ur still after answers, i will be able to help ya. Have a good source here that will hook you up with the perfect impeller to match your power source. :)

10. tuttlec

tuttlec New Member

subajet

Hi subajet

thanks for the reply. It was my first and one and only since joining the forum

11. Mtnman

Mtnman New Member

sweet

Hey man Iv been looking and looking and looking for suby jet info

yea i know its an old thread but its worth a shot

all I could find is an 2.2 for 10000 yikes( marine app)

need lots of info please

I am buildin a aluminun welded 15 ft shallow draft for river use and wanna run a 2.2 na so i need jet specs , heat exchanger info pics, motor upgrade req,cooling system pics or what you have had luck with

Thanks

12. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

Greetings, All
    It was interesting to come across this old thread. I hope we can revive it. I have a 1965 Dorsett 18.6' Sea Hawk Jet Boat. It has an unusual J-shaped Hamilton Jet Pump with a vertically sliding and rotating sleeve for control. I am told that it originally had a 200 c.i. Ford straight six engine.

I built (on a friend's advice) a 1974 Corvettte LT-1 366 c.i. to Smokey Yunick's marine specs 300 H.P. @ 4000 r.p.m. The exra weight adversely affected the trim and caused porpoising. I installed Glen-L manual trim tabs to correct this.

Anyway the boat has been redone and sitting for several years. I would like to get the current engine running and sell it. I have been looking for an economical 4 or 6 cyl. engine to replace it. If I can go about 40 kts. I will be satisfied. I am mainly looking to reduce weight and fuel consumption.

How expensive is it to marinize a Suburu engine? Which are the preferred models and years? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

13. Mtnman

Mtnman New Member

subaru

well the motors are as fallows

1600cc ea71 pushrod timing gear hp? carb
    1800cc ea81 pushrod timing gear 65 hp 110 ft/lbs carb
    1800 cc ea82 over head cam timing belts 75 hp 120ft/lbs carb /efi
    2.2 liter over head cam timing belts 134 /134 mpfi
    2.5 liter dual over head cam (lots of internal head gaskett issues) mpfi
    2.5 liter single over head cam( lots of external head gaskett issues) mpfi

I think that a 2.2 is the best over all it is a trouble free engine with desent power i plan to use this in my boat

as far as marinizing this is what I have planned

fresh water cooling
    marine starter/alt
    ecu water proofing
    heat exangers???

I really would like to chat with someone who has done this before to know the ins and outs

I have tons of exsperance with subarus, lifting, modifing, fabrication

and have a friend who builds boats so with some trial and error I might have this up and rollin and ill be sure to share what I find

14. wmonastra

wmonastra Junior Member

I dont know if this helps but the local boating mag over here in NZ did a review some time ago on some local farmers who put a suby engine in a jet boat, and they did a boat test on it. it was a good test, if you want further details, send my an email and ill see what i can do. (the test was bout 6 mths ago )

Wayne

15. kmorin

kmorin Senior Member

More on Subaru Marinized Engines?

Mtnman, diesels (if still monitoring this site?) others looking at subaru engines for boat propulsion;

Has anyone actually got info, (pictures the best) or a description of the various parts. Has someone got these engines running in a boat? I've heard some vague references but haven't seen the magazine articles (one in Wooden Boat some time back) or seen any books or papers on this subject.

In a metal hull, such as I'd build, keel cooling is simple so the engine coolant heat exchanger is not of concern. What I'd like to learn about is the marine reverse gear and bell housing adaptor/adaptation that held a given gear to a given engine?

Also if there were any examples of an exhaust system- that would be very informative. I'd planned to build a wet lined or fully jacketed exhaust of SS tube and pipe by welding the tubing as two Y's off the heads then a Y under the or to one side of the engine and then slicing SS thin wall pipe or tube as a jacket. This would fully jacket the entire length of exhaust from the heads' exhaust ports to the side/transom of the hull like a continuous marine [double wall] exhaust manifold.

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

As regard the engine performance, will the automotive tuning versus electronic control be sufficient to run in a marine (constant load) environment? Meaning are the various look-up tables for the 'black-box' that is programmed for automotive load curves going to work for a marine load?

I am considering the EJ22 in a 22'-24' welded aluminum boat using a marine gear and a shaft. Another verison of that same boat would have a jack shaft and use an outdrive like the Merc Alpha leg for reverse and reduction. Both applications have something for the different boats I'm considering and any experience in Subie drive applications would be worth its weight in the Miracle Metal (aluminum is getting more expensive).

thanks for the thread

cheers,
    kmorin

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.