Covering for Drafting Table

Discussion in 'Education' started by Robert Miller, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Robert Miller

Robert Miller Junior Member

I am using a 37" x 60" surface for a drafting table. The Melamine surface has a very fine grain impressed in it. I am surprised to find that I am getting subtle print-through of this grain in my pencil lines.

I've notice advertisements for a covering for drafting tables - "Borco", or equivalent. Is this the best solution? Is anyone using this stuff? Is it a pleasant drawing surface to work on, that also results in good solid lines?

Any thoughts and experiences will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Robert

2. Stu waring

Stu waring Junior Member

Borco board cover (or vinyl drafting board cover) is the all-around ideal drafting surface. It not only gives the best line quality, but is easy to clean and is self healing when you trim paper on it with an X-Acto knife. Borco board cover is expensive, something like $120.00 to cover a standard drawing board but it will last many years.

3. betelgeuserdude

betelgeuserdude Junior Member

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Another option is to get the nearly clear vinyl stuff, then just secure the top. Then you can slide stuff under the clear stuff and trace it.

5. edneu

edneu Junior Member

I use the Borco cover and it is very good. It is a bit difficult for me to get it taped down without lumps but once it is down I think you will like it alot. You just tape down the perimeter as was said above. They sell special (two sided) tape for drafting board covers but I think any high adhesion thin two sided tape would work. It does produce an excellent drawing surface.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.