Used Boat Question [size & price]

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by stangfl, Feb 25, 2008.

1. stangfl

stangfl New Member

Greetings all,

I am in the process of purchasing a 1982 20ft Mako with a rebuilt Yamaha 200 motor with less then 75 hours on it. The boat has been maintained nicely and has quite a few extras, also comes with a trailer. It is priced at $12,500.

My two questions are whether a 20ft boat will fare well in the open ocean. I plan to take it down the Florida Key's eventually. Second, is this a good price for this type of boat.

2. charmc

charmc Senior Member

3. stangfl

stangfl New Member

Thank you very much!

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Depending on the model you have, I can't think of a single nearly 30 year old Mako worth that kind of money. The guy next door to me has a 187 Mako, 21' offshore (higher freeboard model) center console for $6,000 in fine condition with a 200 Black Max hanging on it. So consider your investment wisely and have a real boat person along with you to look at the things you can't see. Not a buddy that used to own a BayLiner, but a real honest to God, person that makes a living working on boats, sort of person.

The yacht brokerage listed by Charlie (no offense Charlie) shows prettied up examples of boats, priced to include commission and twice their reasonable value. The site also show a '87 $14,000 17' Boston Whaler which is about as ridiculous as I've seen, but someone will pay it.

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

None taken, Paul. I was just showing some Mako listings. Communicating with experienced Mako owners should reveal any "uniquely Mako" things to look for, and, as you said, having some professional and objective eyes look over any prospective purchase is best.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.