Small diesel DI and Turbocharged.

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by fcfc, Jun 11, 2006.

1. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Are there diesel marine engine in the 40 -45 hp range, turbo charged and direct injection ?

I ask this, because for cars, virtually ALL, including low end ones, are ALL turbocharged and direct injected for efficiency and pollution. The smallest one being the 40 cid (660 cm3) smart diesel engine. Turbocharged and direct injection.

Thanks.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I certainly wish there were more. I can't speak for France but I know over here there's been a startling lack of small diesels ever since GM tried to pass those crap four-banger diesels off on us in the small/midsize sedans of the '80s.
    The only diesel car engines commonly seen over here in the smaller sizes are the Smart CDI's unit, and the Volkswagen 1.9 and 2.0 TDI. There are a few others but they're very rare. I would love to see readily available marine versions of these motors, the TDI units in particular- they drive better in the VWs than even the high-end gas motors. Most small diesel boat engines I see here are naturally aspirated.
    Our crappy sulphur-laden fuel doesn't help though. While the government is trying to push for better-refined fuels, the oil companies are dragging their feet a bit and it'll probably be 2008 or 9 before the fancy European turbodiesels can survive drinking Canadian diesel without killing themselves.

3. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Perhaps VW doesn't see the need to turbo smaller marine motors. Most inboard planing hull applications are over 100hp, and the higher power/weight ratio that you get from a turbo motor is important here. I think they see their smaller motors being used in displacement hulls where weight is not as critical.
    Too bad they have only one North American dealer listed, in Florida.
    It doesn't help that the cheapest VW marine motor, the 40hp SDI, is still $13,000 CDN (equivalent) before tax and freight. Their 225 runs as high as $43,000 CDN.

5. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

From what I have found, there are so much engines.

None of the engines are turbocharged.

Volvo and yanmar have nothing in that range. The D2-40 and 3JH4E are on the low side. The D2-55 and 4JH4E are on the high side. SDI 40-4 and SDI 50-4 are just around. Yanmar and volkswagen are the only one direct injection. Volkswagen is the only one where spec sheet do not give consumption figures.

And then the marinizers : Vetus, Solé and westerbeke marinize the mitsubishi S4L2 block. Nanni and Beta marine use the kubota V1903 block.

All are in the 9-10 l (2.5 gal) / h for 40 hp except the Yanmar (a bit lower 8.5 l) and the westerbeke (so low 7.7l/h that is not technically possible). Volkswagen unknown.

Another point is the gearbox. I could not find a gearbox for these engine with a reduction ratio lower than 1:2.7. That mean at WOT, the propeller, if correctly matched, will turn above 1100 rpm ... The SDI 40-4 is just a bit lower, running at 2600 rpm instead of the others at 3000 rpm.

6. Dutchy

Dutchy New Member

Some years ago Yanmar produced the 3JH2TE.
    This is a 47 hp 3 cil. (ca. 1.5 l) running 3600 rpm. TDI marine engine.
    They stopped producing them 5-6 years ago.
    In Europe there are many around.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Why do you insist on a turbo and direct injection?

8. Redsky

Redsky Senior Member

your looking for a 40 hp desil,,,start checking heavy equipment scrapers or chek a thing called heavy equipment and truck trader case equipment uses small cummins turbo and non turbo commenly in skid steer 1840 case and their ck loader backhoe modles me personaly id look for a older cat backhoe but their less commen....

about the vw 90 hp tdi w manuel trans if your going to marinise one out of a vw car body bent crash whatever take everything actually the whole car you want the computer and cooling system and everything you already have a trans use it install the clutch and brake pedals useing the bolt circle wher the tire used to be instead connect a bevel gear 90 deg gearbox to dual stern drives the rack and pinion might be usefull also and by all means keep the original cooling system and build a air box around it and the engine....w proper output props should run just like a vw car and it needs to be shifted to keep the eng in line with its design limits.. i think that why most people have a problem with car/truck conversions...try to do boat type cooling on a air cooled closed loop design

and for anyone that wants to ask that above is soley my opinion..iv not tried it yet but thats how id approach it

9. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Because these kind of engines seem to have a efficiency/price/reliability ratio good enough to be used on millions european diesel cars and trucks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.