Build quality of 70's Crestliner 16'?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bntii, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I have a salvage 1975 16' Crestliner which is in sort of poor shape but a doable restore to get out on the water.
    This is a glass hull with a moderate V. Looks like it would be a decent boat for the Bay if not too rough out. Its got a 70 hp Envinrude on it.
    One of our young guys needs a boat and I was going to pass it along to him to fix up.

I am just wondering how folks feel about the Crestliners. Worth messing with?

Thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Crestliner was like most builders of the era and it depends on the model for it's eventual use. Naturally all the wood will need to be replaced (transom core, stringers, sole, etc.), but the hull should be fine, heavy, but fine. Without pictures it's hard to say, but if an early 70's boat, she's probably chopper gun and thick. If late 70's you might run into some resin experimentation, delamination, blisters, etc., so have a good look at the laminate.

3. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Thanks PAR.

This is going along to our glass guy so no problems fixing what ever might be in need.
    I just am not so good on these older power boats & know nothing of the pedigree here.

4. PAR

What deadrise at the transom does it have?

5. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Thanks again PAR, I will get a photo of the boat.
    This kit is sitting next to my dads house & has been since the seventies.
    The father and son used to dive on the bay with the boat way back when. As a kid the son would show me the fossilized giant barnacles and sharks teeth they would pick up on the dives.
    It's one of those things.. the son asked if I could find a home for the boat & I just want to provide a little bit of an informed assessment before our guy invests his time in the project.
    It might be a Apollo but I really have to get back over there and get a photo or two.

6. bntii

bntii Senior Member

OK- here she is in all her glory:

0220111452.jpg

0220111452a.jpg

0220111453.jpg

I like the boat.
    I jumped on the outboard skeg and there does not seem to be any play in the transom but I did not have a moisture meter with me to suss it out.
    I think I will pick up the boat & see if our guy can make a go of it.

7. PAR

Lift the outboard against it's lock, to check for transom issues. Pushing down will not revel anything unless it really bad, at which point it would be obvious anyway. Look for puckering, dents, discoloration, etc. around the outboard clamp and bolts. Lastly, remove a bolt and check the condition of the core. A 36 year old boat will surely have some core issues.

8. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Good tip PAR, thanks.

What do you think of the hull form on this old gal?
    I am out of my depth with power vessels but it looks to be OK for bay chop in moderate conditions?
    You spent some time on the Chesapeake & know how short/steep it can be.
    You had mentioned deadrise at transom. I assume this weighs in for how well she will corner?

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It's an average, good handling design. The freeboard in generous which makes it relatively dry. Overall, a good boat.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

But but but...

It's the

Apollo SPIRIT 660

That make it better than 'average' right????

;)

Good morning Gonzo

Our guy wants to get out on the water to go fishing and such with his girlfriend...
    A pretty blond. Maybe he will trade for the boat..
    :p

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.