cost to have boat designed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mojomfg, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

im curious what the cost would be to have a boat designed
    by a naval architect.

a plywood chine similar in build construction to peter snell's easy line
    of boats but as a trawler power cat in the 40-44 ft range

and who then owns the right to distribute the plans ??

thanks ...kevin

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Each designer has different ways to charge for services. Hourly rates, estimates, percentage of the completed yacht, etc.

The designer owns the sole rights to the design. The client is purchasing the right to build one example of this design, unless other wise arranged with them. The client has no right to distribute some one else's work, without consent.

3. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

" The client has no right to distribute some one else's work, without consent"

thanks for the answer par

not to cause a s*%t storm but if i paid for the work in a lot of
    other fields it would be considered mine

of course i could see under those terms a price varying on how desirable
    the design would be depending on how many people would be interested in it

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"of course i could see under those terms a price varying on how desirable
    the design would be depending on how many people would be interested in it"

Most NA will design the boat JUST for you.

Should someone else want that design it may need to be modified,

but even if just sold as is it helps the NA make up for the 500/1+ difference between inquiries and cash customers.

IF a NA decides a new design is simply so fantastic that hundreds of folks will purchase plans , the NA will publish them as "stock plans" , and waits for the deluge of orders.And waits , and waits....

FF

5. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Usually if NA designs the boat for private customer, he owns the rights on plans. In case of re-sale the designer will not normally support the plans purchaded not from him during the construction.

If we design the boat for a builder/distrubutor, we transfer the rights to the builder and make royalty agreement if it is a production design.

1 person likes this.
  6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi mojomfg (kevin),

As has been pointed out by a few folks already, designers generally keep the rights to their designs.

If you commission a custom design for a one-off, expect to be charged the full cost of the time the NA and his/her staff will take to do the drawings, engineering calculations, any computer simulations that may be necessary, design meetings, etc. From what I've heard, NAs are actually relatively cheap in this sense, compared to consulting engineers in many other sectors (or the infamous "global management consultants"). It's a lot of work, and the NA needs to make a living somehow. You'll end up with a complete set of drawings, the rights to build one boat, and the NA's support and expert advice throughout the process.

If you want to build a second one, or if a friend wants to build one, you have to go back to the designer and work out a new fee arrangement. Odds are it'll work out to be less than the original custom design (which was relatively expensive, because the designer didn't know if he'd ever be able to sell another set of those plans- the fact that it's a custom job suggests that it's a bit out of the mainstream).

If you want to build a few examples of the boat, you'll probably have to pay a royalty fee per boat. As a percentage of the boat's cost, this is usually quite small. The exception is on licensing royalties for some exotic or unusual technologies, which occasionally have large per-hull fees attached.

Stock plans are, of course, usually the cheapest way to go.... the designer has already put in the time to do the drawings and need not do so again, so he can spread the cost of that time out over many sets of plans. But expect to pay for custom modifications you might want done.

If you want to commission a design and end up with full rights to it, expect to pay substantially more than you would for a one-off or a series of per-hull royalties, as well as a long and legally intricate contract.... if, that is, the designer will even do this. Many won't.

7. PAR

If you bought a Corvette, do you have the right to produce a few more to suit your friends desires? Do you think GM will get pissy about it, if you did?

If the fellow that designed a building for you noticed another, just like it going up a few blocks away, do you think he would call his lawyer?

Basically, the drawings fall under copyright protection, just like the logo on the side of a UPS truck.

A client can arrange for limited production from a single set of plans, pay royalty fees for additional examples from the same plan set or work out a production contract, all with the original designer.

8. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

9. PAR

Kevin, maybe I was too harsh. It wasn't my intension to offend.

If you have a design that needs only some verification, you have a few avenues of pursuit. One is to hire a designer to look over you plans and sign off on recommended scantling or other design element changes they think are necessary. The design would still be yours, but at what point or if a designer would require their name be attached is an subject best discussed with them. Another is to have an agency look over the drawings and have them place their stamp of approval on it.

The bottom line is how complete you drawing are and how much alteration is necessary to make it acceptable for who ever is looking it over.

I have done just this very task on several occasions. One is a lady who posted here a few years ago. Her husband designed and started building a boat, then died. She wanted help. She called and I completed the rough plans he'd drawn up, including modifications he incorporated during the building of the hull shell. I had her literally climbing all over the boat taking measurements, pictures and getting intimate with the thing. She wanted to finish the boat herself, but realized it was well past her skill levels, so she found help from another that had heard of her plight and happened to have just completed a small cruising sloop. The boat is now on track and the plans are in her husband's name. I do have my logo in the corner of the drawings I provided, but I call the design what it is and the designer, who it is. All I did was reconcile the issues and generate some prints. Okay there where several packages of cookies involved and she had to pay some money, but the boat's in progress as her husband's design and that's the point.

10. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

Thanks PAR
    no offence was taken

we are both in a field where one's ideas have a value

i have plenty of time maybe someone will come out with a stock design first

but there is a certain joy of acomplishment with building something and ive always felt it , even more so when its your design ,dream ,vision whatever

11. PAR

Writing that last post got me to call the lady with the boat project I mentioned in the last post. We've become friends and she sends cookies frequently. She was complaining about snow in the morning, as I was complaining about he cold front about to move in and drop us down into the low 60's. She didn't have much sympathy for me. Well, she's writing a book about the adventure with her husband's boat, the design process and the continuation of it's construction.

Mojomfg, live your dream, you might even get a book deal out of it. You only get one shot at this life thing, so go for it I say.

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

i have plenty of time maybe someone will come out with a stock design first

What makes you believe the "ideal" boat for you is not out sailing?

What requirement do you have that is so SPECIAL, that dozens of designs don't already exist?

Have you checked the Gallery , on this board and followed the many links?

FF

13. mojomfg

mojomfg Junior Member

my requirements are not that many in fact what i want is kind of simple
    a catamaran similar to peter snell's easy 11.6 but built as a powercat