Cost Of Traditional Wood Build Vs Various Modern Techniques

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, Mar 29, 2010.

1. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Greetings,

Did a search and found out Schonker was built in Michigan. It is 30' LOD and they said 12 ton displacement with 7 tons of ballast and 1000sf. Seems awfully heavy.

2. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

Ok , A big dory?

[​IMG]

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

would you please stop hijacking this thread with your schonker?

4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

I doubt anybody sails for economic reasons. In my case power boats are not allowed on the local lake so I sail (or paddle). If power boats were allowed I wouldn't be on the lake in the first place :)

Ps how the hell did this post get into this thread? Doh!

5. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Just a question, how would I roto-mold a boat in my garage?

6. Milan

Milan Senior Member

I see I own some explanations here.

That boat is designed and built by special people for an unusual purpose. This isn’t boat for the sailing masses.

Three guys that designed, built boat and sailed it across the Atlantic are very experienced and capable seamen. They sailed various vessels, but they have a real passion for traditional sailing ships. They are certified captains of the sailing square rigged ships of 3 000 tons and merchant ships of 3 000 tons of unlimited area of operation.

Schonker was (very) loosely based on traditional Dutch small coastal cargo ships. Besides having fun building and sailing it, they wanted to explore possibilities for island trading in the Caribbean. That’s why she has a big cargo hold and hefty displacement.

She was a very Spartan but did have piano on board! (Arjan is an excellent piano player and singer).

Last couple of years they are busy with rebuilding and sailing brigantine “Tres Hombres”, and starting sailing ships - shipping company:

http://www.svtreshombres.com/

http://www.zeilendehandelsvaart.nl/

Attached Files:

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Sounds like they were schnokered when they came up with the idea cause honestly bud that is one ugly boat

The brig is a big step up

The guys must have been going four contrast

My two cents

Speaking of which
    What's this thread tittle again

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

speaking of which
    most of you know what boat I just bought
    and most of you know where i'm planing on taking it
    so
    I need to replace the bottom or at least some of it
    thing is traditional built ceder plank over white oak

deal is
    dam those silly bronze screws are pricey and although they will last a lifetime
    I only need em to last as long as the plank they fasten
    so whats the deal
    should I go with galvanized and just plan on replacing the whole bottom every ten years or so, which I will likely have to do anyway or should I go with silly bronze at ten times the cost and hope my planks live a long and healthy life

frankly I've still not heard a great answer to this question

ref post 221
    old Tad seems to be sayin if I do go galvy its the grand kids problem, but what if I plan on maintenance every 5 years anyway, and re-planking the bottom every say 10 for the next 30 or so I own the boat with maybe the last go round in silly bronze so when I'm really old and unable I can still have a boat thats worthy of resale

from a financial point of view it seems better to just use galvies for now and in five or ten if I can afford it go silly bronze

also given that a screw can only be used maybe two or three times before the head is stripped beyond all recognition whats the point of a life time screw in a board thats going to last maybe twenty years at best

I got 1 1/4 planks and 1 3/4 frames which means a screw of no longer than 2 1/2 inches and likely a #10 or 12

in silly bronze thats about $3 each
    36' and frames every 9" ends up being about 50 pairs of screws or 100 at 3
    **** thats 300 bucks to attach a 30 dollar plank
    seems kinda ridiculous to me to not just go with a galvy screw and plan on re-planking every five or ten from the water line down

cheers
    B

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The galvanized screws you get today lose their galvanizing just being driven, they start rusting right away. For fishboat refastening we have been using 18-8 ss recently, can't get 316 here any more except special order. Drive them in tar and seal the holes with tar, they last a long time, don't use any tar and they disappear in less than ten years. Silicon Bronze is for the higher class, "forever" jobs, which we also do.

There is no reason you have to replace your bottom in ten years...that's nuts.....do it properly and only do it once. Every time I cheap out on materials I regret it later......

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well hey stranger

18-8 ss ?

whats the ss designation represent

not sure what this 316 represents either but I'm living in screw central and I might be able to help if your interested

no clue how long its going to last but I notice this boats been hauled every five years and surveyed and I was thinking I'd maintain that schedule

oh I'd scrape it every chance I got but was hoping to only really rip into it every 5

thanks
    B

ho ****
    I just realized your talkin stainless
    I thought Lloyds gave stainless a rating of 0
    should never be used bellow the water line

I hear you and I'm happy to not use silly bronze its ridiculously expensive but I'd love an alternative

I can get hot dipped galvy screws still out here
    I think
    I sure used to
    are those the ones your thinkin work well in naval applications ?

yup
    http://www.mazenails.com/catalog/catalog.php?page=PAGE15&group=DZH

the new pressure treated lumber requires them so they're making a come back
    not such a bad price either

hope it helps
    B

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok
    I found silly bronze #10 2 1/4 flat head slotted for about 40C a piece
    means its about $40 a plank for a full run
    my bet is 3 3/4 wide planks over 120 inches and .65 prismatic co bellow the water line and I come up with $820 to refasten the bottom only not including materials

not sure how the keel is put together or I'd take a crack at what thats going to cost me but for just the planking on the bottom I can afford the silly bronze after all
    assuming this price is good

the stringers will run about $150 each in fasteners at .40C a pop

for a total of about $1200 in silly bronze screws

I still have not heard back from the previous owners as to what they used in the rebuild they did way back when

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Use bronce fasteners, how often must we repeat that?

I personally would not buy them at the souvenir shop in Aspen, we provided several links where you find them at affordable prices, not 3$.

5 years between haul out is a too long time, it might well be that you have to replace a few planks every other occasion. But when you haul her on a common schedule, which is at least every other year, better annually, and fix minor scratches asap, you will not have to replace planks for decades.

Regards
    Richard

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya i went back through and found one of the links

they are about 40C each which puts it in the affordable range for #10 2 1/4

14. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.