Installing a gas tank

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Audiofn, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Audiofn

Audiofn New Member

I am looking for any info on the proper way to install a gas tank into my speed boat. It was foamed in but from what it looks like on the reading of the coast guard rules they need to not have foam underneath? Anyone have any input on this?

Thank You
    Jon

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The ticket to tank installation is dog her down good. In power craft, they can get tossed around and developed substantial loading on the hold down system, so it needs be well over the worst case scenario. They should be isolated away from the hull a bit to help stave off a hull puncture also getting into the tank(s). The easiest way is to strap down those carry on poly tanks. There are hold down kits available from the marine stores (like West) but they are just barely up to the task if you ask me. I like stainless steel straps myself and some through bolts to hold them down. A form fitting cradle and straps is better, custom built fitted tanks the best, but the costliest.

A lot depends on the tank you intend on using and how it will be installed. Below deck or compartmentalized tankage have other issues dogged to the deck tanks don't, mostly relating to venting. Tank materials can cause some issues for installation as well, such as grounding filler necks and caps.

What configuration is your boat? Where would you like the tank to live? Open air or enclosed location? Are there typical examples of this style boat in your area with similar tank arrangements?

3. Audiofn

Audiofn New Member

The tank is 175 gallons so that would be a lot of pony tanks :D:D

The tank goes under the cockput floor btwn the stringer. It was originally installed with pour foam and screwed down with tabs on the top of the tank. This lasted 20 years. I now however read that according to the coast guard regs is not the proper way to do it. I just do not want to have a issue with my insurance co god forbid I ever have a problem. I assume that if I put it back the way it was that I am fine? Is there anything that I can do to treat the tank to get it to last longer?

Jon

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What material is this monster tank made of? I'd have this amount of tankage divided up some, but lets not re-engineer the thing yet. Steel tanks can developed leaks and I understand epoxy can be a cure, but you should check with www.westsystem.com first. Their input on coating steel tanks may provide you some help.

You can log onto the USCG web site and down load the regulations that apply. What issues are they having a problem with?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.