HYSWAS pyramid concept

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by milo12, Nov 18, 2014.

1. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

http://www.schwinge.co.uk/

Is this a valid concept?

I looked up the HYSWAS and it seems to have been proven out in various test boats. I couldn't find any info on a big HYSWAS boat through.

I like the pyramid shape because it is very simple to build and structurally efficient so should be able to build light.

Can the HYSWAS be stable enough to counter all the wind loads?

Attached Files:

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Its gonna fall over.
    That much above the water will be pushed just like an umbrella, after it tips over.

Make a little model and see how it does before you hurt someone. If you can't make it as an RC boat, then you can't make it full size.

I am exaggerating - you might be able to make it work with a sophisticated computer control, lots of horsepower, and a loan from the US government.

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

[​IMG]

architect, not a naval architect...

even if it was possible to make that brick fly (which it isn't) it would not serve at all as a boat/ship

4. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

Here is a link to the Quest HYSWAS test boat. It was successful and demonstrated the HYSWAS concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORuDmzI48B4

Of course the Quest was a fairly small boat compared to a Yacht. But it doesn't look like the general shape of what is flying above the water has any bearing on the function.

I am concerned with the authority of the foils to lift the vehicle and control roll in a crosswind. But all hydrofoils have that issue so there must be some data available.

Can you be more specific as to why "it would not serve at all as a boat/ship"? Is it just so ugly that you hate looking at it?

I see the obvious issues with the physical size and getting in a marina. Are there other obvious problems with the pyramid shape?

5. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Try walking to the bow. See what big wave does when it reaches the beak, etc. etc.
    Boats have decks and shapes they do for a reason.

6. milo12

milo12 Junior Member

That would only come into play when it is in low speed "floating" mode. In that case the boat would be going slow and I don't see it being any different that any other boat because it will be riding on the trimaran hull arrangement below the pyramid. Maybe hurricanes would be a problem but the sloping sides should shed water well.;)

While in "flying" mode it will be much easier to walk to the bow than any conventional boat due to the SWATH (I guess SWASH in this case) type technology. SWATH boats are proven to be able to maintain speed at much higher sea states than monohulls with significantly lower movement.

I in no way expect this is some clever new design that is better. As you said boats are as they are for a reason. I am just trying to learn how if in any way this is BS or a death trap. I have always loved the seakeeping of a SWATH and I am intrigued by the simplicity of the pyramid and see many advantages from a construction and flexibility perspective. Of course this HYSWAS hull will have the negative aspects of a SWATH such as load capacity limitations and lower efficiency.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.