Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. beady

beady Junior Member

Started to rip out the bulk head and clean up under the mast step

Attached Files:

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Looks good beady. I spent a good part of yesterday working on my hull. Lots of sanding. I snapped a picture (with a real camera :) ) but have to make it work with this new computer. Felt good to work on the boat, it's been a long time.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

oh no I'm falling behind! Looks good Beady, welcome!

4. beady

beady Junior Member

Thanks 5monkeys. I am not going to build up the post as nice as some that I have seen here. Now I am just waiting for it to warm up so I can put some fiberglass on the brace. My goal is to have the boat ready by late April so I can race at the state park on Sunday afternoon. There is a sailing association there and they have fun races, not much of a race just an excuse to get together and sail.

5. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Beady, the post Canracer built is like a work of art, I'm sure mine will end up looking much more...utilitarian...yeah, we'll go with that.

It looks like it's cleaning up pretty well in there, what did you use on your grinder to clean that out? I've got to to take out that rotted wood along the keel still. Maybe I can put some time in over the weekend.

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

This post is sort of a test. I uploaded phone pictures to photobucket and then resized them with their edit software (on the laptop.)

Pulled the boat out of the garage and into the yard. This was about to get dusty (extension cord, palm sander, and dust mask.) After many epoxy repairs, the gel coat in the cockpit and on the tanks collected lots of spills. It looked terrible so I sanded it all down. I wish now that I had put down drop cloths.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

That is an awful tease Canracer... You have to put up more than that.

8. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I'll keep you posted. I like to post a decent picture and with the new phone and new laptop, there's a small learning curve. It's becomes a matter of routine very quickly. Right now It's phone, mobile upload to photobucket, resize, copy and paste the url into the post.

9. beady

beady Junior Member

Just to see some green in that photo and I think they call that sunshine

10. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I don't want to get ahead of myself here but I do like to have a plan.... so of course I still have to finish cleaning out the insides.. more foam and probably more nests.. and I need to grind out that rotten wood on the keel. Then I need to build up the keel again, and shape a new post which I expect I will mold to the slope of the CB trunk to the stern end.. Then I need to make said post along with the new bulkheads...but I'd like to have a plan for the foam replacement before I get too far down that road... I like the klegecell but that stuff is pricey and I'm not sure how I would put in long strips in there. So I'm thinking about this stuff...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2198#MyReviewHeader

it looks like 1 qt. is = to two cubic feet of foam.. I'm figuring under the floor of the cockpit is about 2 strips of 9 x1 x 6, so 9 cubic feet of foam.. 1 gallon of this stuff should yield about 8 cubic feet of foam.. which is pretty good.. coverage but leaves allowance for expansion in case it goes nuts on me...

Thoughts? Stories? Personal Anecdotes? Let me have em....

11. beady

beady Junior Member

I used to own a Thistle and some of the guys were using pool noodles inside the bulkheads. I know the crap that came out would be useless for floats. That stuff looks pretty cool. I wonder if insulation foam could work?

12. beady

beady Junior Member

5monkeys I thought this may be helpful.

Attached Files:

13. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Adding pourable foam into the hull should probably be avoided at all cost. Unless you had a mold for the foam, and then added the cast pieces. Old 2 liter soda bottles, and milk jugs, and pool noodles all make easy and cheap flotation.

14. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Canracer.. my thought was that in late spring (or sooner if it's warmer) was to have the post in place, could even have the bulkhead in place and could then put the boat upside down on saw horses outside and pour the closed cell foam in under the floor... it would then adhere to the underside of the floor and grow up between those plywood "boundaries" and the centerboard trunk that are in place thus providing some structural support as well as floatation... What are your concerns with it? over expansion?

15. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

It could cause pressure, and it will definitely trap moisture against those stringers. It's hard to predict what it will do, and it could also be very hard to remove (if it was ever necessary.)