Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

2. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I'd say a few gallons. the time she was in overnight. (Was beached though so I'm sure the stern got a good washing. The quick sails she took on less. Maybe a gallon or so. I haven't gotten around to applying the 3m 4000 around those drains yet and maybe while I have it out of the freezer I'll take another look that CB gasket. Perhaps this week.

I did a little testing with an electric trolling motor. Wanted to see if it would work to hold the boat into the wind while setting/stowing sails and all of the other reasons one might employ an outboard on a sailboat. Not wanting to spend a bunch. I borrowed one from my neighbor. I had to buy a deep cycle battery to run it which I did. Unfortunately, I found the motor lacking in all but the lightest of tasks. Insufficient to get one out of a jam if needed and unable to hold the head into any wind at all. While there are bigger trolling motors that may have been up to the task available to purchase at a price. Instead I purchased a 4 hp Johnson off of craigslist for $100. I still need a tank and fuel lines, and new plugs before I'll know if she runs. She's not seized and she looks clean and sound. So we'll just have to see.

3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Congrats on the boat 5monkeys. I hope you can get that thing inside for the winter.

4. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Hi Canracer,

My neighbors feel the same way apparently. A policeman stopped by last week and talked to my wife about it. Apparently there are a lot of complaints and while not illegal. They would appreciate it if I could move it. I'll be trying to get it back in the garage this weekend I think. I have more work to do on it anyhow. Anything happening with your boat?

KB

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

My boat is taking up half of a 2 car garage. Basically it's ready to go sailing at any time. It's a lot of work though so last weekend I rented a club boat for the day. Got over to Sarasota Bay and it was blowing 20 plus. Small boat advisory was in affect and they shut down all sailing for the day. They also canceled the Great Pumpkin Regatta. Went hiking instead.

6. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

And I have the same problem. The rules are strict. The minute that the boat is out of the garage I'm in violation of the local ordinance.

7. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Howdy Canracer,
    I'm gonna have to start work on my transom soon. I'm starting to run out of winter here for the project. I hope you are doing well.

kb

8. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Hey, I have a link to a C15 transom replacement project. Have you seen it?

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

10. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The idea is to start cutting (carefully and neatly.) Leave about 3 inches of glass around the outside edge and around the drain plug hole. Save the outside skin because it can be reused. This part is like plastic surgery, make very fine and careful incisions. I'm searching for that link.

11. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

See how this guy left the fiberglass skin around the edges? He left about 6" but it demonstrates the general idea. And where the drain plug hole is, leave extra.
    [​IMG]

12. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Wow, I haven't seen that link. I was going to cut the glass from the inside of the cockpit, cutting 2 or 3 inches from the edges... with my oscillating tool. I know I have rot below the floor around the plug, so figured i'd have to cut out part of the cockpit sole as well...maybe it's better to cut from the outside. Yes I'd love to read what others have done.

13. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Yeah, the transom should 100% be opened from the outside. The cockpit side is structurally important to the cockpit and sort of complex (don't cut into it.) The cockpit can be repaired after the transom is removed. This would be obvious if I could find those pictures.

A guy did a nice thread on his C15 transom replacement. I read through it many times but have lost track of the link. When the skin is removed the rotted lumber is easy to remove and installing the new wood was also easy.

This is one of those deals; when you get the hull opened you'll see extra things that should be repaired. It's a good chance to fix anything that can be reached and you won't have to stand on your head (like working through that hatch.) Any weak cockpit structures will be visible and accessible (and fixable.) Also those foam hull stringers can be inspected.

If you hang an outboard on the new transom, it makes sense to reinforce everything.

14. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

An oscillating tool is probably a good choice. Being neat will pay big dividends when it's all back together and there is sanding left to do before the paint.

15. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I love that tool it's a beast. I've been searching for the thread via google but not picking up anything I haven't seen before.

Did you re-do your transom.. that pic you posted above looks nice and clean.