Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Hey Canracer! From the bench to the Bay in a few busy days. If you are around can you help me with running the line for the main sheet? Mine seems different than what I'm finding online.

2. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Sure, what's going on? Put up a picture. There are two different set ups. Transom mounted sheeting, and the traditional set up.

3. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I should have take pictures before I took this stuff apart.. but I didn't and I'm trying to re-rig the main sheet.

The way I did it just doesn't look right to me..but I can't find a clear picture of how anyone else has it.

so this is the picture tour,

I have a figure 8 knot in my line, and it comes in through an eyelet on the traveler here:
    [​IMG]

(I don't recall the line being run to this before but I don't see anywhere else for it to end)

It runs from there up to the forward of the two blocks on the boom:

[​IMG]

it then runs down to this double block ( I ran it through the top):

[​IMG]

Then back up to the boom to the aft block:

[​IMG]

Then back down to the lower block on

[​IMG]

Then to another block on the barney post and to the cam cleat,

[​IMG]

This doesn't seem right to me even though it might work. Do you know the proper flow for this line? Do you have the same setup?

Attached Files:

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Grabbed a quick picture. The boom is always rigged up like this and ready to go. This is the way I've been running the main sheet. To the right is forward, and that middle block connects to the traveler car. The line on the left runs through the block on the barney post.

Attached Files:

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Did you check those barney post screws? It really stinks when they pull out in the middle of a sail

6. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Just re-ran it. It now looks like:[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

That's the way. You might shorten the tail that's hanging from the becket knot. It could jam in a block and cause an issue on the water. Another thing to consider; the ratchet block is easy to get turned around the wrong way (always worth double checking before heading out.) Because the boat is tippy by design, it's not easy to correct little mistakes after the boat is launched. And I've made a ton.

8. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Of course still much to do, but it's not all work at this point.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Congratulations! How was the wind?

10. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Hi Canracer,

The wind was perfect for what we had in mind. It was blowing 4-6 knots from the east. This is good because we were sailing on the Potomac but not south of DC where it's deep and wide. Up here it's pretty narrow and shallow, but it's not far from home and ramp fees are friendly for frequent visits.

[​IMG]

I've had the boat there a couple of times, but last Wednesday ,when that picture was taken was the best so far. The boat ramp goes into the water right between those two islands, just to the left of the red pin. I've tried to sail around the westerly island a couple of times but with the wind coming off shore there was always too much wind shadow from trees I guess. Well not that evening! We made it around the island and had fun tacking back and fourth in that area between the islands. I had the three youngest monkeys with me, number 3 and number 5 had been apprehensive but ended up having a lot of fun. If there had been more wind I think they would have been scared. That's Number 4 waving and smiling. Clearly he's not stressed.

The next morning I went back with number Monkey1 and Monkey4, wind was more from the south, but was primarily from the east and had backed off to about 4 knots. We expanded the area sailed a bit by heading east down to trump national and back up around the island. We tried to take the northern side around the island but wind shadow got us about 3/4 of the way up, so we just sailed back. No races just a nice laid back couple of sails and getting our sea legs.

We did take on some water.. #4 thinks it's from the brass cockpit drains. I think he's right, I need to get around those with the 3m 4000. and then we'll have to give her another run.. boy that's a shame:)

Attached Files:

11. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Canracer,
    I have two quick questions for you, 1 Does your boom vang attach to a pad-eye bolted into a slot on the mast or does it attach at the mast step? Mine is the eye on the mast slot. The second question is what type of shackle do you have on your vang to attach to the mast (or step)?

Keith

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  12. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The vang attaches to the mast step. Both ends of the vang have a small U shaped shackle with a threaded bolts.

13. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

If you had to drain a bunch of water out of the hull, there's a good chance that it came from the centerboard gasket screws. Those cockpit drains are above the waterline, so they might be the issue, but your first suspect should be all those screws.

14. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Yeah I figured on that too, but cockpit drains are easier to address. I do think I'll need to re-visit the CB gasket after those cockpit drains.

15. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

I've looked into the issue of those drains. They are installed with a special tool. They can be removed and replaced, but it requires a professional shop. You might try some white silicone (or similar) before the next sail. If the hull comes home dry then you will know it was the drains. If not then it's the gasket screws. 4000 is less permanent than 5200, but it's still very tough.