Raising Hull Sides

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by savagescout, Jan 24, 2019.

1. savagescout

savagescout Junior Member

Hi Guys.

I have an old 27 foot half cabin that unfortunately saw the worse end of a tree branch falling through the cabin structure.

[​IMG]
    Given the fact that i need to rebuild the cabin. I really want to take the opportunity to modernise the look of the hull. I love the shape of the Boston Whaler conquest 285. I want to remove the entire top cap of the boat and raise the sides on the bow to give the cap more shape and also provide more cabin head clearance. The red line below shows a rough idea of the line of the hull/cap joint i would like to adopt.

[​IMG]
    Obviously the shape of the cabin would change as well but i was hoping to get advice on the best way to complete this mod. Could it be as simple as screwing plywood/laminate forms to the side of the hull (that contour to the hull shape) and then simply laying up with an appropriate glass schedule?

Please note i am doing this as a hobby/love job so i dont mind sucking some hours into the project....

I look forward to hearing from you.

SS.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Has that boat been extended ? I would say just repair the damage, and use the boat. It is a big task, to be trying to make it look more contemporary, and I'd be amazed if it looked much chop when you finished.

3. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

I'm with Mr. E. Just restore the boat (which is going to suck plenty of hours by itself) and then sell it for a more modern boat if you don't want vintage.

4. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

Pardon my French but hell no it won't be that simple

• As soon as the cap/deck is removed the hull will spread. So it must be held in place with temporary support structure until new cap installed.
    • The incredible amount of flair at bow will prevent a smooth transition into new shape.
    • Leave hull alone and increase amount the deck raises above joint.
    • Or.... Split hull at bilge chine.
    (Edit If hull split a nasty jog will be created in bow angle)

Either way massive investment for ultimately negative return. It will cost ten times the value of the boat to complete.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I'm with Blueknarr: It would be a massive waste of time and money. It will cost more than the boat is worth in both time and cash, and if you decide at some time to sell it it will be very difficult to sell as it will have lost it's "vintage" value. this reminds me of a friend who had a 1954 or 5 Ford Thunderbird. He decided he would modernize it by customizing it. Whooops. Overnight it was worth about 1/10 of its antique value. Fix the boat and restore it to it's original condition. You will have a unique vintage boat that many will admire and when it comes time to sell, it will be worth more for it's vintage value than a customized boat will be. In the spirit of full disclosure, I own a vintage 1972 18 foot Sea Ray and just had an engine put in it, but I made sure it was the same as the original. A lot of people asked me why didn't I upgrade to a more modern efficient and powerful and probably lighter engine. Well, visit FiberGlassics® - Index - FiberGlassics® Forums http://www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums or any other antique or vintage boat web site to see why. People who buy and restore vintage boats don't want something that's been customized all out of recognition.

Although after taking a second look at the photos it does look like someone did a hull extension on it. So its already been customized

6. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

And is the bow thruster original?

Still... It still has the original vintage lines to her...

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Seems to be a clear consensus here, don't do it ! Not a practical proposition, like getting your ears lowered instead of having a haircut !

8. savagescout

savagescout Junior Member

Thanks everyone. This is the sort of stuff you need to hear. Thanks for the voice of reasons.

9. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

I like the look as is, the hull extension has leaned it out, and the very spare alu top support is clean and uncluttered.
    I’d do the repairs, then try a creative two tone paint job to enhance a sleeker look.
    Then sell it...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.