Aluminum tee extrusion plate connected bracket dimensions

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Brian.Lin, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Brian.Lin

Brian.Lin Junior Member

Dear All,
    we have the aluminum tee extrusion plate. we use the plate on the deck.
    at the position of extrusion plated butted joint, we have to connect two extrusion plate. we have an idea as attached photos. But, the class ask us to explain the reasonable bracket dimensions to provide effective connected.
    is anyone can give us the suggestion?

Attached Files:

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The solution can not be worse. I do not think the CS approves it ever. What is the reason for cutting the ends of the extrusions in this way?

3. Brian.Lin

Brian.Lin Junior Member

Dear TANSL,

thx for your reply.

the end cutting is for aluminum tee extrusion plate butt joint.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I think a solution like "1" would be more appropriate. With a supplement on the web plate, if necessary, as shown in "2".
    Whatever the solution, the welding of the plates should not coincide with that of the extrusions. You could also try to offset weldings of the webs and those of the web plates.

Attached Files:

5. Brian.Lin

Brian.Lin Junior Member

aluminum tee extrusion plate

kindly refer to attached photo.
    the Tee with the attached plate.

Attached Files:

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

That photo shows quite correct solutions. The problem that you have raised in your post # 1 is the union of two similar panels and the solution chosen for that union is not correct. If you need to join those panels, you should go to solutions like the one I indicated in my post # 4.
    On the other hand, I do not think the CS accepts extrusion finishes like the ones seen in the photo. In any case I am not who to say it, that is something that you will have to discuss with the CS.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.