Oops--Removing Polyester resin Wax

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Fishtale, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Fishtale

Fishtale Guest

Sorry, I hit the enter key too soon!!
    Hi,
    I posted here a while back about catalyzing a 30 year old resin and members were quite helpful. I ordered MEK, Co and wax from a glass company in chicago and the floor came out great. I now have to remove the wax coating and I sanded it with medium grit sandpaper but it still seems slippery. I ordered marine vinyl and Ad-vanced Marine Adhesive (390 AD-Hesive) from Cabelas to cover the coated wood. i was curious if anyone recommends a solvent (acetone or styrene?) wipe for the wax removal in addition to the sanding before I apply the adhesive. I'd hate to get a bad bond so I'd like to do it right and only once. Thanks in advance for any help.

FT

2. tja

tja Senior Member

tja

Wipe it down with acetone. Then resand with 80 grit and wipe down with acetone.

3. FishTales

FishTales Junior Member

Thanks TJA. Will do.

FT

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Most waxes are easily taken off with mere hot water and machine dish washing soap.

The active ingrediant is 5% TSP Tri sodium phosphate.

Many areas the tree huggers have had this removed from hardware stores , but the ladies lobby has far more clout , so it stays on sale for automatic dish washers.

A good scrub of this with HOT water and a scotch brite pad (many grades for floor buffers , use the agressive one) works fine.

FAST FRED

5. FishTales

FishTales Junior Member

Thanks Fast Fred. Makes sense that hot water and surfactant would take care of the wax. Will try it out.

FT

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.