Core Cabin With Certenteed Polystyrene

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by eurotk1, Apr 5, 2004.

1. eurotk1

eurotk1 Junior Member

I Am Looking To Build A Light Weight Pilot House For A Center Console I Am Working On.i Was Thinking Of Using Polystyrene Insulation As A Core With Epoxy Resin And Mat.after The First Coat Of Epoxy Can I Use Vinyl To Keep Cost Down.or Scrap The Whole Idea.please Reply Back.im Still Waiting For An Answer On My Other Post Of A Low Cost Core Deck If Thats Somthing That Can Be Done Or I Jusr Nidacore It.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If you use epoxy then cloth is appropiate. It will keep weight down and use less resin.

3. eurotk1

eurotk1 Junior Member

pilot house

could i just coat the polystyrene with epoxy(no cloth)then do the next layers with mat and vinyl

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I assume you are talking about vinylester resin. It won't adhere well to epoxy. Why don't you want to laminate cloth with epoxy?

5. eurotk1

eurotk1 Junior Member

pilot house

Im Building A Large Pilot House And Was Just Trying To Keep Cost Down.how Many Layers Should I Use On Both Sides.should I Use 1 Or 2 In Core.there Are Many Companys That Sell Epoxy In All Different Price Ranges.which Brand Do You Recomend.by The Way Thanks For All Your Help.

6. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

I will get a lot of arguments on this statement... The best epoxy is the the one you are use to using. Some are better on the environment (less voc) Some work better in tropical climates and some better in colder climates. I would bet money at one time clear coat was the best in the world but when they sold out and I had to have epoxy yesterday I had to try something new. Guess what? it works. Now do you want slow or fast hardener ? 2 to 1 or 5 to 1. It all depends on your personal preference.
    And there is the old saying " you get what you pay for"
    Good luck
    Ben