Coral Sea 35 Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by BenZA, Jan 10, 2015.

1. BenZA

BenZA New Member

This is a thread to post my progress and thoughts on the boat I am going to restore. This is my first project of this size although it is something I have been hoping to do for a very long time.

The boat is a Mike Waller design Coral Sea 35 Catamaran in plywood construction built by a builder that has since passed away. When I found this boat it had been neglected for a long time with lots of damage to the plywood. The boat has never been completed and has never floated. Inspection shows good workmanship to the hulls although the turret and transoms are practically destroyed. The boat comes with most construction bits but no fittings.

After discussions with the designer I now hold a valid license to construct this boat with the full plans and instructions. My plan is to strip this boat down in damages areas, repair all rot with new plywood construction and then finish with epoxy resin and marine paint. The result of this work will determine viable configurations in the following phases.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. BenZA

BenZA New Member

Fetching the boat

I have to go fetch my boat. You can actually see it from the air on Google Earth on -34.042064, 22.049476 in Mossel Bay , South Africa. I need to move it to Pretoria, South Africa some 1,800 kilometres away via my planned route. I am worried but I have been working on this for some time.

I have been making preparations by refurbishing a trailer to move the boat, buying heavy duty high-lift jacks to put the boat on the trailer and building a driveway on my residence to place the boat while I work on it. Obviously I don't have a workshop large enough to work on the boat indoors but the winter is starting in April which will put the rains on hold for a few months.

"The idea" is that I insert square tubing under the boat with dimensions 100mm x 100mm and then lift it with the jacks. Thereafter the trailer is pushed in under the boat and the beams welded to the flatbed.

I am going to Mossel Bay today to take final measurements before I depart for the big trip in a week's time.

3. BenZA

BenZA New Member

More planning

Got back today from Mossel Bay on a 2 hour flight. I am doing my final preparations.

The trailer is 2,130m wide. The boat is approx. 4.7m wide at its keels. I will have 1.3m overhang on each side. To carry the load my 100mmx100mm mild steel tubing will be cut to 5m and have ends welded on that are sloping up 500mm on either side at a 60degree angle. The tubing will be welded to the flatbed. I will place tyres under the keel to further stabilize the boat. 4 sets of heavy duty 9m rigging will secure further with other supports added on the day.

4. BenZA

BenZA New Member

Roadtrip

Working on the trailer, fitting beams, lights, signage and electrical. Testing the high-lift jacks.

5. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

The trailer looks good. Just drive very slow.