Ronovation or New Build

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by creativeglenn, Feb 8, 2010.

1. creativeglenn

creativeglenn New Member

Hi I need advise.
    I am looking for a 30 foot canal boat for the UK rivers and canals.
    I am in a dilema to either refurbish an old fiberglass dawncraft cruiser or build a new wooden framed,plywood sheeted then glassed and epoxied boat.

My thoughts are from my experience of refurbishing an old fiberglass cruiser that the work involved would be similar in length of time.
    Refurbing a glass fiber boat can be gut turning and dirty.
    Having to undo everything before you even start old toilet tanks,mold ect.
    Which boat would be stronger and more durable?
    Any thoughts advise would be greatly appriciated.
    I am not seeking a steel boat as the cost and quality for the money you pay is rediculas.

Thanks.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Glenn, welcome aboard the forum :)

From what you've said so far, I take it you're fairly comfortable with carpentry, and that you're good with fibreglass but also experienced enough to hate it.

Probably about one-quarter of the cost and one-quarter of the build time will go into the basic hull and structure. Most of the effort is going to be in the interior fitout and the systems.

Going new-build has the advantage that you get exactly what you want- but if you're willing to compromise on a few of your mission requirements, you might be able to save a fair chunk of time and cash if you find an old boat with a solid structure that just needs refitting.

None of us can make the decision for you, of course- but remember that boat buying/building is an emotional decision, rarely a logical one. Ultimately you have to go with what you think will make you happiest. If you're happy with pinching pennies to refit an older boat, go for it. If you really want this to be your "pride and joy", something that's exactly as you want it to be, perhaps starting with a lumberyard and some epoxy drums is the way to go.

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Refurbishing is an act of work
    Building new is an act of love.

4. creativeglenn

creativeglenn New Member

which do you think is stronger?
    Fiber glass or wood and fiber glass?

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You can build a wooden boat stronger than glass but you can also build a glass boat stronger than wood !!:confused:
    Have to be a bit more specific with that question !! stronger in what way ?????
    :p

6. creativeglenn

creativeglenn New Member

Hi tunnels.
    Stronger in what way?
    Structurally and durability, which is the only way I believe stronger would be relevant.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Building a canal boat personally i would use solid fibreglass without any core and a good structual frame work inside built integral with the furnature and bulkheads engine beds etc , But i would be putting laminated wooden beltings around the outside Gunwhale along with all the traditional ropes work on the bow and stern .
    Glass decks and cabin sides and cabin top and using a Balsa core in these structures .:p :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.