Copper Cloth

Discussion in 'Materials' started by CapKos, Feb 10, 2006.

1. CapKos

CapKos Junior Member

In the past ships have used copper sheets under the waterline, and some classical yachts still have. My question is: is it possible to replace the glass cloth of wood-epoxy boat at list under water line with very thin copper sheet? This could be stronger, and probably cheaper on long run since no antifouling will be used.

All the best,
    CapKos

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I would rather mix copper powder into epoxy paint. You might have copper separating from Epoxy becuase it creates copper sulfate layer becuase of some moisture that might get through. Epoxy is not 100% moisture resitant even thought it is close. I saw company one time offer at show system to coat bottoms in copper flakes. It was expensive and I dont thing it 100 effective becuase other marine life will get some foothold. You still have to clean it or coat it with biocide.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

It is not copper. It is cupro-nickel that is used for bottom coating. 90:10 80:20 and 70:30. The more nickel in the alloy:the more expensive it is.

Copper by itself is not that effective.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.