new boatbuilder

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sean-nós, May 14, 2010.

1. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Hi all first post here and I am sure you guys will be able to help me along my way,I have just started on my second build its a 1954 crackerbox that I hope to run a 4.3 v6 or 5.7 v8 mercruiser in. Here are two links one of my first build "sean-nós"meaning old style and named after my dad Sean who had died just as I started to build it,and the second one is were I am with the crackerbox,not to far:) Hope you like.

http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/
    http://s753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/crackerbox/
    And this is a clip of my launch day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoP_2AERUQo

2 people like this.
  2. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Welcome ,good projects ,keep posting your progress.

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Looking good. Welcome to the forum. keep us posted.

4. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

crackerbox

Framework is all done now just have to do the fairing off and then start planking, starting to look like a boat now.:)
    [​IMG]

5. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Nice, nice..........

Use plastic staples if you don´t bag, they are a big time saver. You can sand them flat and leave the rest in.

Regards
    Richard

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It is a nice looking boat.

8. fredrosse

fredrosse USACE Steam

Plastic Staples? Tell me more. I am building a plywood boat, 9oz glass and epoxy on the outside of the hull. Can these plastic staples be used to hold down the cloth during the epoxy/fiberglass work? Where do you get them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I have been looking them up and all I can find are raptor staples but I think you have to use their gun. I don't have a compressor and not sure if the hand one will go through the mahogany and ply.

http://www.raptornails.com/tshoot.php

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

No, the hand gun will probably not shoot them into harder wood.

The link is the right one!

Fred
    I am not familiar with tackered glassfibers, we apply them freehand, see my Gallery.

Regards
    Richard

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When working single-handed I have used a staple gun to keep the cloth from sliding off until I can get some resin on it, but then I pry out the staple before glassing that part. In a professional boatyard you may not need the staples at all if you have sufficient hands assisting.

12. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I started striping my donor boat and have the engine ready to lift out to get a face lift, I hope to use the rudder, cables,wiring, exhaust ect. The boat I am building was a direct drive but I would like to use the gearbox to,I will have to get a longer shaft and a different strut angle,is there a rule of how far from the back of the boat the prop should be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up my planking, this should be fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  13. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Started planking the transom,had the first plank and the transom coated with resin and before it set I epoxy with west system 405 filler mixed with 423 graphite to give me the black lines, the chalking on the deck will be black too so I hope it will look ok. As you can see on the first plank I put on my stapler packed up so I had to screw it on,:mad: I filled the holes with resin mixed with sawdust so hope it will be ok. I could not get my hands on the plastic staples like apex1 said so I just used 14mm ones shot through a car seatbelt to make it easy to pull out.

[​IMG]

14. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I started striping the engine for it's rebuild and when I saw this my heart sank
    [​IMG]

And then when I saw this it hit the floor, "always winterise your engine"
    [​IMG]

15. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

The hull is now planked and the engine is rebuilt and sitting on a mockup of the hull so I can work out the angle to drill the prop shaft, in the plans this boat had a direct drive so the gearbox might be moving the center of gravity a bit. the prop is a 13x13 4 blade and in the ski boat the shaft was at an angle of 17 degrees witch seems a lot. If any of you guys have any tips for me that would be great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.