Copper Bottoms

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Capthookcc, Feb 22, 2005.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In their day these vessels were heeled and scrubbed, usually with the help of an extra low tide. Tide heights in their home port have a range of a few feet at most.

Capthookcc, email me and we can discuss where you are in the process and what will make the effort in getting these girls wet on there bellies. There are a few ways to go with this and it would be a shame to let them rot away with only a few thousand miles under their keels.

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Here in Corpus, it's usually 1-2 feet. No Bay of Fundy! :D John, I sympathize with you, being a fellow resident of The Big Tortilla I know how politics and funding work (rather DON"T work) here. The Columbus Fleet has a sick neighbor, the USS Lexington. She looks great on the entrance (stbd) side, you need a tetanus shot to look at the port side. How long 'till she rusts through? Life in Corpus Christi.
    Perhaps a volunteer program for haul out time would be possible? I'm no wood boat expert, but I can scrape barnacles and smear on bottom paint! Maybe you could shame Bludworth's yard into a drastically reduced haul out rate. :D

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Mmmm- well heres another idea you wont like. I dont know how big these vessels are but what about ordering a load of steel plate and build your own submersable dock. Its just a block built of steel ,just weld it all together( ok its a bit more involved than that) buy a second hand deisel engine weld it on a bed and drive a pump. Its not much to em. You can then take out the girls when ever you want and take others out too and charge for it .Hey you might even make money. Any ship breakers near by? use second hand steel as much as poss. I saw them build one in Thailand once for a super yacht. One boat, one time only. Nope-- silly idea-- ok ---sorry

4. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

I visited this boat when it came to Beaufort North Carolina a few years back.The price to board was so high,and you could only walk on deck,everything below was locked up.Take an example from the Elizabeth 2 at Manteo,lower tourist prices,let them see everything.Go for quantity of visitors.This was a great looking boat,very cool.Good luck.Hire a pretty girl thats good with kids as your promoter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.