Coosa board with AwlGrip; Rebuilding cockpit floor

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by gatortennis, Apr 4, 2008.

1. gatortennis

gatortennis Junior Member

I'm rebuilding a cockpit floor of my old Hatteras Sportfish and Since I have never used Coosa Board, I was wondering:

When using Coosa Board, Is is necessary to lay fiberglass on top of their sheets or can you just glass the seams with fiberglass tape and then shoot awlgrip primer and paint on top of it?

2. Bentwood

Bentwood Bentwood

I am using coosa for all of my interior panels, sole, built in tanks in place of marine ply. I found it is necessary to prepare the coosa panels by filling the surface with silca-epoxy then bonding a 6 oz glass layer, prior to cutting the panel and tabbing in place. I believe the panel will just absorb the epoxy out of any tabbing and not bond well if it is not bonded with fiberglass first. I doubt it would paint well either.
    Check with technical support at Coosa.

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

you hafta put down glass first before any awl-grip'n

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.