6B 5.9cummings marine parts

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by skiffish, Sep 25, 2007.

1. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

Looking for all parts to marinize a 6B 5.9. Or complete marine unit for parts that i can strip.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Why bother?
    Simply set the engine up as most work boats are done , Keel Cooled with a dry stack exhayst.
    Damn little money to put out , and no fan$y marini$ing .

FF

3. skiffish

skiffish Junior Member

A little more info Fred

The boat is set up as a wet exhaust and dry probly won't work. But that said, since i probly have enough parts for heat exchange and raw water What do you think about an elbow for the water to exhaust after the turbo? Give me an email if you would i would like to discuss what work boats do.

skiffish@charter.net

4. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Skiffish, I would suggest you buy a RTO cummins marine engine and rebuild it. Cummins are easy to work on and parts are relatively cheap. Believe me, you are opening a can of worms by using a truck motor. Visit boatdiesel.com for some good discussion on the subject.

5. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

Marinize 5.9

KD,

Not to hijack the thread, but can you elaboarte on the "can of worms" issues? I found a nice 5.9 this week. It has 151K miles on it. Great shape, compression etc.. I have the heat excangers to cool the engine and transmission with a closed loop system.

I have not decided whether to stay with wet or go with a dry stack behind the new pilothouse. This is a complete hull up rebuild. It originally came with a gas 350. That is long gone and the BW 71c is toast I think. Anyway, I am very interested in your (and others) ideas and how to move forward.

Thanks, Chris

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

7. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

When you go to set it up, join Boat Diesel .com. Tony Athens has a great article about setting up exhaust systems in boats.

8. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Chris,
    The truck motor is not the same as a marine motor.
    Although it is possible to marinize a truck motor, you will be money ahead to shop for a marine engine.
    The Cummins 5.9 is a good choice, parts are relatively cheap and plentiful, and they are fairly simple to work on.
    If you are seriously planning to do this, spend the first $25 on a membership to boatdiesel.com.

9. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

5.9 Marine

KD

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I check all the boating forums that I know of. Craigslist, Ebay, Boat Trader, boat salvage lots and Googled for Marine engines.

I have found some older ones, like the 555's, but on boatdiesel and other places, they say stay away from them. The Detroit's are pretty cheap, but are 4-6 times the weight of the original motor. I don't think I want to try that. Some other more recent units are 9 or 10K. I'm not really ready to spend that much money on my first rehab/rebuild. I did two 16' boats in high school, but this 23' inboard is a whole new game.

My plan is to build this one to prove ( a personal challenge thing)whether I can achieve a decent result or not. If I can, I will rebuild more and go with the higher dollar components. I need to do this with the least expense, and build a nice looking, safe boat.

If there are other places to look, please forward them to me by all means.

Thanks, Chris

10. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

Can you state what kind of performance numbers you are looking for? Are you willing to reshaft and refit your stuffing box , exhaust system, water intake, strut etc?

11. crowsridge

crowsridge Senior Member

Yes I am. I am not having much luck finding the hardware so far today. SHaft needs to be 1.75, then the strut, bearing and stuffing box. I need to figure out the angle in order to get the 18" prop under there.

The water intake will stay the same, as will the port for the exhaust. All else has been removed. I have a blank slate really.

As for performance? Dont really know what to expect yet. BW says I will be much happier with a big prop and the diesel torque. The small prop was the downfall of this boat as he explained it. It was new with 22knot top and 17 cruise. Id like to get to and from the fishing a bit faster than that if I can. Isnt 20 the minimum to ski with?

This project is 70% personal challenge to see if it can be done. I will have a much better idea on how the next one will go and what to look for to start with. If it fails, I wont be out a ton of money. If it works? That will be awesome.

Chris

12. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

You can do this. And the 5.9 Cummins is a good pick. A boat diesel .com membership is a wise investment. Boat diesel .com also has a very good want ads section and calculation software for performance objectives. Ebay has a lot of good used buys on struts, shafts, and wheels. Fred's advice for the exhaust manifold is good advice.

13. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Skiffish, or was it Crowsrige? I think the 5.9 Cummins may be borderline too big and heavy for a 23 footer that you plan to water ski with.
    Cummins made a 4 cylinder B series that was rated up to 250 hp, that might be a better fit in the weight and space aspect.
    Why dont you guys post some pictures and specs of the boats you intend to power, and some realistic predictions of the percent of ski use vs fishing.

Crowsridge, your hijack was a complete success, hope your project goes as well!

14. scottbaker

scottbaker New Member

3.9 would be great for your application the weight is about 700lbs but first you should by a marine parts book for the cummins some of the parts are not sold on ebay you can build the 3.9 into the motor that you want but you need the right cam ,injectors ,turbo pistons,fresh water water pump if you are not running a jet pump and right impeller or prop, intercooler.the holes in the block are there for the right plumming of hoses.all thing are possible I don't really care for naysayers. I built a 5.9 powered 26ft 9ft beam full in closed jet boat you don't know how much flack I caught for Going against the norm.

15. Phil Christieso

Phil Christieso Junior Member

I marinized a 6b take a look
    Has run 2500 hours over 7 years.
    Cost me in parts only $800 us
    Good luck

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      186.5 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      173.6 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      157.3 KB
      Views:
    • 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      161.8 KB
      Views:
    • 034.jpg
      034.jpg
      File size:
      181 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      134.2 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.