1986 four winns boat with murc will not start

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by coolmethirteen, Jun 1, 2010.

1. coolmethirteen

coolmethirteen Junior Member

The boat was was starting then I had it rekeyed because I misplaced the keys. I tried to start it with the new key and it will not start. The electrical stuff like the blower, radio ect is working. But the dash board gauges dont move and the motor seems like it is not getting power when I turn the key. I would appreciate if someone could possibly tell what could be the problem? .......thanks

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If you had the cylinder replaced or had tumblers replaced, the whole switch was taken out. If you disconnected and reconnected electrical connections, that's where to look. I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with the key itself. If it turns to the same point, it is doing its job.

3. coolmethirteen

Well the person that was working on the lock took the ignition out of the dash and attempted to take the front off to reset a key to the cylinders in the ignition. He eventually found a key that fit and that turned the ignition. I was thinking the ignition maybe was damaged when he had it out or something is not connected.
    . What could I do to trouble shoot what is going on

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

All starter systems have a low amperage circuit that runs through the key and a higher amperage circuit that is in the engine compartment between the starting battery and the starter motor.

When you messed around with the starter switch in the ignition, you have somehow created an open circuit in the lower-amperage circuit that goes from your ignition key switch to the starter solenoid on the engine.

Either the guy rammed keys in so hard he broke something inside the ignition switch, or he jostled the thing so much that one of the wires popped off the back of the thing. Check to see if a wire is off the back first and report back with results.

If no wire is found off the ignition, trace the wires that run from the starter solenoid to this ignition switch (and to ground) and make sure those are all closed circuits, using a circuit tester. Also, make sure those same wires are connected to the back of the ignition switch.

Still nothing?

Take the ignition switch out, remove the wires on the back and carefully touch the proper two together (the proper two!) and see if the engine turns over. (report back)

5. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

If the engine has push button breakers on it then check those. The other items you mentioned may be powered from elsewhere...

6. coolmethirteen

Thanks for your help I appreciated it

7. coolmethirteen

Thanks for your help I appreciate it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.