Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I guess it's a good thing you were able to catch a chicken instead....;)

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Chicken of the Sea? Then stay on land.

3. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

While the grumpy old man is happy gnawing away at his stale bread, I thought some of you might enjoy a tarted up corned beef dish.

Yet again, wanting to cook something I've caught, I've failed miserably and resorted to the "stand-by" dish. Give me credit, I could have just gone and purchased a fish.

I suspect I'll have to find a rent-a-dad to teach me how to fish.... And before you get all excited Frosty, I said "rent-a-dad"... Not rent a "daddy".

Beef was cooked in the Dutch oven on the beach with thanks to Troys earlier suggestions. I'm still not so good with regulating temperature, but a corned beef is rather forgiving.

The remoulade, admittedly, was made at home before the weekend trip.

The salad came about from whatever I had left in the cooler. In this case, red onion, parsley and celery leaves, croutons left over from Saturday nights meal, finely cubed boiled potato, and fried bacon leftovers from breakfast.

Oh, for those interested, a remoulade is a simple but awesome way to tart up just about any red meat. In this case I julienned a raw celeriac (was cooking for 12 at the end of a long weekend cruise of four boats), and dressed it with whole egg mayonnaise (not that god-awful sweet Kraft crap), seeded dijon mustard and seasoned with salt and pepper. Let it rest and soften for about an hour. Using a fork, just twirl the remoulade like you would spaghetti, and plonk a ball of it onto whatever meat you're serving.

For chicken or fish I would leave out the mustard and add lemon or lime zest or chopped capers and finely diced red onion.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I could catch a "non-descript", could taste like chicken "thing" in the bay, if only I had skills.

This other white-trash meat of the sea looks like this. Not the least bit appealing. Only its mother could love it.

Attached Files:

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

flathead are one of the best fish in the sea, go down to the market and see what you pay for it. look for broken reef and sand patchs around the bay, bounce plastics along the sand and the flattys will pounce on them. the snapper aren't late, it is still early, give it another 2 weeks and they will fire up.

6. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

A worthy suggestion... I'll give it a go.

7. whitepointer23

it is a good time of the year james, all the fish start biting as the weather warms up. next time you go to a tackle shop tell them you are after flattys and they will show you the best plastics to use,when flathead are hungry they attack anything. in your pic you see the short spike on the back of the gills, bump that and you will be in agony, they bloody hurt, the only way to soothe the cut is to rub it on the fishs belly. the slime sedates the pain.

8. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I might hope so, since I've failed a catching most anything.

9. whitepointer23

i have plenty of trips with no results, but even i can get a feed of flathead. if i can catch them you can to.

10. whitepointer23

whats a good marinade for pork ribs. i just made 1 up but i would like to know some different recipes to try.

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Sweet and sour with some garlic but that is my taste buds. Try beef ribs (prime rib bones ) with your favorite bar B que smokey sauce and add a bit of Hickory flavor to it. Boil the hell out of the ribs first.

12. whitepointer23

haven't tried beef yet, i have only used pork so far. i used soy,honey, garlic,hot chili sauce , b'que sauce and cayenne pepper which turned out nice. i will get some beef ribs this week. also i cooked the ribs for 8 hours in the slow cooker, is that over doing it. should i just cook them in the oven for an hour instead.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You amaze me -I never knew you could cook gonorrhea.

I thought you might like a recipe I have for cock o van.

Its basically a cock run over by a van.

In true Aussie style I would suggest it be served with a side dish of some chips.

My favorite!!

Yes I find this a very strange and annoying thread , one does not go to sea to cook and the thought of it annoys me. Those making notes do do this have very little sea time and understanding.

Once at sea and prepairing for night of well ---shall we say --un friendly weather believe you me,---- beef stogonoff or anything of similar ilk will be the last thing on your mind.

It is not a romantic site for wine and a dinner for two ,---get a grip man. I use the word man lightly.

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You keep trying to define sailing as your personal fantasy of a man alone in a leaky boat on a stormy sea, bravely facing the elements to prove he has a pair.

You need to get a grip. Most people go sailing to enjoy themselves, not to show the world or themselves how manly they are and what they can endure. There's nothing wrong with adding good food to the mix whenever possible.

Next you'll be telling me that when I go Jeeping I'm supposed to squat by a campfire unkempt, unwashed and unshaven, sawing open a can of cold beans with my hunting knife and using said knife to eat them; and that cooking up a good meal in my Dutch oven instead is somehow sissified.:rolleyes:

15. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

So then why click on it????

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.