Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Boston, maybe next time you should try putting some water in the drip pan, as well as turning the heat down.

Was the meat still good under that blackened exterior?

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

it was OK, definitely cooked all wrong tho. Lacked all the subtle flavors I usually like to get out of roast duck. The meat was a little dry but not really all that bad. Next time I'll aim for a slightly higher fat content and a little less char. The more I think about it, I think I'll stick with the 1 hr 45 and do exactly what you suggest. Less heat and some water to help keep it from charring. Which might have been from to much open flame spiking up off the chips and around the grease pan.

It was actually kinda hard to keep the temp down. Every time I took my eyes off it, things would spike and I'd end up fiddling with it for a while.....

I need a better regulator but for the sixty bucks I think I can figure this one out. Dont actually have to turn the regulator up or down, just wiggle the handle around a little and it seems to change its setting slightly.

Thing about that smoker is its a must have once I get the build in the water. Although I might try and modify a wood stove. Weld in a few shelf brackets and see if I can't kill two birds with one stone.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It looks like that chicken is a victim of severe global warming. :D

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

If that doesn't work, keep the stone. I'll send you a recipe for an excellent soup.

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

ooo..oooo....do tell :p:p

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

SOUP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im making up some black bean and sausage soup at this very moment...Yumm

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Yay, soup!!! This is a recipe I put together a couple of months ago. I apologize to those purists who don't touch canned, frozen or packaged foods; I used what my wife had in the house. Feel free to substitute fresh or homemade ingredients instead....:)

ONION AND POTATO SOUP, WITH BACON AND CHEESE

12-oz package thick-sliced bacon

3 good-sized yellow onions

4 garlic cloves

3 small to medium russet potatoes

2 tsp bacon grease, reserved after cooking bacon

2 tsp butter

Chicken stock, 15 1/2 oz can

2 beef bouillon cubes

About 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a so-called 'Mexican' 4-cheese mix, because it's what we had)

1 slice of toasted garlic bread for each bowl

Fry the bacon in the soup pot until well browned and just starting to get crisp, then chop into corn flake-sized pieces and set aside. Pour off all but about 2 teaspoons of the bacon grease, and add 2 teaspoons of butter.

Halve the onions from root to stem, and thin-slice across. Cook them in the bacon grease/butter until they start browning. About halfway through, mince and add the garlic.

Dissolve the beef bouillon cubes in 2 cups of hot water. When the onions are well-browned and caramelizing, pour in the bouillon and the chicken stock, add the diced potatoes, and simmer until the potatoes are done but still firm.

Turn the heat down; add the bacon and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is hot again, but not boiling.

Place a piece of toast in each bowl, and ladle soup over it. Or ladle soup first and float the toast on top, if you prefer. Sprinkle generously with the remaining shredded cheese, set bowls in a flat pan and run them under a broiler until the cheese starts bubbling.

Enjoy....

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I might have to try that one Troy. I do a pretty mean French onion soup myself.

9. Leo Lazauskas

I'm sure most cultures have their own recipes for stone (or axe-blade) soup. :)

The Australian variation contains cockatoo and stone.

10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Inherited this potato soup recipe from Mom. Everybody raves about it. Very simple.
    Large potatoes. Small potatoes traditionally meant cheap or worthless.
    1 more potato than people planning to serve. Cubed.
    1 medium yellow onion per 4 potatos. Diced.
    Just enough water to cover potatoes and onions.
    salt as you like it.
    Boil potatoes and onions in covered pot till tender.
    Reduce heat, add milk and butter.
    Add paste made with all purpose flour and cold water to thicken.
    Season with black pepper.
    Serve with bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwiches. The two flavors compliment each other dramatically.

11. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I got a pretty slick recipe for mashed potato's I was thinking of doing up today.

I tend to make a pot and save it for later.

but its all a mater of taste

russet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed clean, sliced about 1/4 to 1/2. boil them up till they soften and then add this list of stuff to taste.

table cream
    butter
    lots of the above
    when I make a big batch I end up using maybe 1lb of butter and a pint of cream

sea salt cracked not ground
    major taste improvement over iodized,

green red yellow bell peppers, red onion and Anaheim peppers
    diced to about 1/2 inch

lots of Pablano peppers
    cut off the stem, slice them in half, pear out the seeds, dice them 1/4 so they turn out a half moon looking thing.

mix it all together.
    You end up with a bunch of nice fresh crunchy veggies in a mashed potato base. Its beyond delicious.
    I brought 15 lbs of this stuff to a party about a month ago and it was the first thing gone. Stuff tastes awesome. Its also fattening as all hell.

12. Yobarnacle

mmmm! I love peppers. I like jalapenos and sour cream on rye sandwiches. But then I also like peanut butter and curry powder on multigrain bread sandwiches. Guess I inherited taste buds from my dad. His favorite sandwich was banana with yellow mustard.

13. Leo Lazauskas

It's sour cream with potatoes!
    Or are you some kind of secret fancy Frenchman? :p

14. Yobarnacle

I speak a little french. I know how to say " Pardon me sir. I didn't understand what you said. Would you mind repeating yourself?" In french it's "Eh?"

15. Leo Lazauskas

You are probably too young to know the author of the following gem:

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French." - P.G. Wodehouse.

Just to keep it food-related and on-topic...
    'Mayonnaise: One of the sauces which serve the French in place of a state religion.' - Ambrose Bierce

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.