Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Oh dear... Should I refrain from cooking suggestions like "char-grill till well done", in future posts?

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Just include a caveat in latin. :)
    What's latin for "Don't try this at home" ?
    :D

3. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Now here is an interesting question... Does anyone have a mystery/surprise ingredient they would like included in a meal plan?

I'm thinking along the lines of a kitchen stadium episode.

It occurs to me that I have a rather skewed set of meal postings that relate to available Australian produce in an Australian summer.

But please for the love of God, don't suggest twice cooked Himalayan yak entrails or sauteed chicken lips in a satay dipping sauce.

4. Yobarnacle

Peanut butter.
    High protein food value, no need refrigerate.
    I've eaten peanut butter soup, curried peanut butter sandwiches, practically everybody's had it loaded on celery sticks, it's also good as one of the ingredients mixed in with the hardboiled yolk as a filling for deviled eggs.
    It can be substituted for tahinni in mediteranean and arab dishes. Tahinni is a peanut butter like product made from ground sesame seeds. It's sesame butter. Used in lots of med dishes
    I like to see other recipes using this staple of western civilization. Yay for peanut butter!
    :)

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Noli hoc domi conari.

6. hoytedow

Yay for George Washington Carver!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

"During the Reconstruction-era South, monoculture of cotton depleted the soil in many areas. In the early 20th century, the boll weevil destroyed much of the cotton crop, and planters and farm workers suffered. Carver's work on peanuts was intended to provide an alternative crop."

[​IMG]

7. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Peanut butter it is.

Setting aside the usual suspects of brownies, cookies, satay sauces and other such common-as-dirt uses of peanut butter, sweet potato coconut and peanut butter soup, spiced peanut butter fried chicken, sesame peanut noodles, and finally butter baklava come to mind as worthy.

Any of these dishes makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich seem rather inadequate.

I'm not so keen on deep frying aboard so I might try the chicken dish in my crash-test-kitchen and cook sesame peanut noodles aboard.

I should have tried and proven recipes in a week or two. Does that make me a "food arteeest", and should I have said/typed that with a lisp?

8. Yobarnacle

salivating in keen anticipation

9. hoytedow

Good morning, I hope you have manteca de cacahuete.

10. Yobarnacle

Peanut butter in spanish is mani. Pronounced man knee' emphasis second sylable. Disfruta amigo. :)

11. hoytedow

Y mani en un pan tostado con miel es muy fácil y sabroso!
    And peanut butter on toasted bread with honey is very easy and tasty!

12. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Tell me more about the Spiced Peanut butter fried chicken and Sesame Peanut noodles... They both sound mighty tasty.

13. hoytedow

Have you tried cooking anything with nasturtium buds?

http://matthew-rowley.blogspot.com/2010/07/first-id-heard-of-capuchin-capers-was.html

I haven't yet but I'm planting nasturtiums.

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I propose to marinade skinless chicken pieces in a coating of peanut butter spiced with chilli flakes. Instead of a batter or bread crumbs, I will zap some unsalted popped corn in the blender and coat the chicken then deep fry till golden brown.

I would serve the chicken pieces on a bed of bitter salad leaf with a little pile of pickled green, red and white onion and a pale ale on the side.`

Picked anything is a rather simple affair. If you're in a hurry splash some white vinegar onto the raw sliced onions and let stand for a few hours.

The sesame peanut noodles is rather a simple dish.

Garlic, ginger and a few decadent (serious blobs) tablespoons of peanut butter (crunchy would be best) into the pan and sautéed. A little dollop of cream for a luxurious pallet and richness.

Prepare any type of asian noodle or an italian bucatini pasta. I would suggest whole wheat udon noodles for this dish.

Throw the prepared noodles into the pan with the sauce.

Add a fist full of chopped (chunky lengths might be nice) raw green onion and a drizzle of sesame oil. Toss to combine. Noodles and green onion should have a thin film or coating of sauce.

Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, coriander and bean shoots, and serve with an ice cold tiger beer.

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

I have given great thought to using a number of edible flowers in my cooking aboard book.

In fact, I've considered using the flowers of Angelica, Bee balm, Carnation, Impatience, Jasmine, Lavender, Marigold (which I regularly use when available), Rose, and Zucchini.

The use of edible flowers is confined to my long weekend aboard menu plan/book.

Unless you have a planter box hanging from the transom, there is little point in giving you an appealing meal idea that must wait for landfall at precisely the right time of year to try and enjoy.

Stuffed zucchini flowers is an entrée I have added to the long weekend away book though. It can be prepared in advance and shallow fried when needed.

The other flower varieties listed, I have considered using as garnishes.

I often use a small handful of Marigold petals to tart up an otherwise bland looking bed of salad leaves.

As for Nasturtiums, I know of people that pickle and use them in place of capers. I might try this myself. It is the pod rather than the flower that is pickled however.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.