Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

You can cook pekka on a boat,all you need is a ceramic kamado.
    The marketed ones are known as the big green egg...from 140F to 700F.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Nice spread you made there Hoc it would've been nice to have tried some of those dishes. I make a pretty mean roast duck as well but its a smokey process and it drives my roomy nuts. So I try and wait till she's out of the house for the day cause it takes a couple hours.

Its nigh on impossible to get unfrozen fresh Alaskan fish for less than about $14/lb and that only from the Japanese place that flies all its own stuff in a few times a week. Even then the salmon at least looks, smells, and tastes exactly like the stuff I get. I've always suspected its frozen on board and they thaw it out just like I do.

I can get farm raised stuff thats unfrozen but its not nearly as good. Mater of fact if you put the two side by side you'd think the farm raised stuff wasn't even salmon. They use Carrot extract to color it and its way more fat. The meet is much less dense as well. Some folks like it but I prefer the wild stuff. Its also a lot better for you.

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Don't have time to ponce around a kitchen because programming is more fun?
    Married to a feminist lawyer?
    Then I recommend...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Yup..fresh is the new "frozen" these days :)

Leo
    I drank that Tang once...woooahhhh. Sent my heart racing like i was on speed. Never again! :p:D

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

You can always mellow out on the Deb instant mashed potato if the Tang is too much. But be careful, man, not everyone can handle mixing their grooves.
    Peace.

6. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Well, i prefer the fresh potato and guacamole salad with the prawns, if that's ok with you :p

prawns.jpg

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Jeez, I'm kind of outgunned here. I don't do any Japanese cooking.:)

The closest I come is a vaguely Chinese-style stir fry now and then... which I'll be eating a lot of in the coming year along with salads, because I need to lose some weight. Long hours in a mostly sit-down job combined with poor eating habits is a killer... especially when too much booze also gets into the mix. Even a couple of years ago, I could still work most guys half my age into the ground. I don't think I can honestly say that anymore.

Oh well. Speaking of salads, here's a nopalitos salad that's good summer fare.

For those of you who don't know, nopalitos are diced-up young pads of prickly pear cactus. If you don't have a Mexican market handy, jars of nopalitos packed in brine can usually be found in the Ethnic, Hispanic, Mexican or whatever aisles of American supermarkets, super Walmarts, etc. At least in California, they can....

This is a good side dish with grilled meats, such as steak or carne asada. You can make it ahead of time and pack it in the ice chest, if you're going on an outing.

Nopalitos Salad

1 lg jar (32-oz) nopalitos, drained and rinsed

4 or 5 decent-sized roma tomatoes, diced

1 small to medium sweet or yellow onion, diced

1 green poblano/pasilla pepper or bell pepper, diced

2 green Jalapeno peppers, chopped very fine

1 small bunch cilantro, chopped (1/2 cup?)

1/3 cup lime juice

1/3 cup olive oil

kosher salt to taste

coarse, fresh-ground black pepper to taste (light touch)

1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco, feta cheese, or similar fresh white cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheese, and let mellow in the fridge for a few hours. Don't leave out the salt; it helps extract the juices and meld the flavors.

Crumble the cheese over the salad, and serve with warm corn tortillas.

8. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

my recipe for Key largo dinner-

Sell GF a skiff for "$1 and other consideration". Other consideration means she does all the fishing, crabbing, lobstering, fish cleaning and cooking. I often went with her, but the catch ratio was pretty appalling; about 3:1 in her favor. Neighbors had a freezer and they stored our catch for us. I wasn't a total deadbeat, though, I did build the traps and maintained the skiff.

Typical results after a skiff ride to the "grocery store" oceanside, Key Largo.
    Snow crab, spiny lobster, and squash.

Attached Files:

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Well, when you and shipmate Stubby are sailing , dragging lines over the stern , you typically pick up schoolie tuna..bluefin.
    At 10 kg , the typical tuna is just too much tuna steak for a pair of hungry boys to eat at dinner , so its best to "can " the rest.

On board canning is easy and the Tastiest canned tuna you will ever eat.

lasts a week or more without stinking up your refer , and its easy to prepare.

Some sailors substitute capers for " herbs"

Follow this recipe and you cant go wrong.

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/making_tunafish.htm

When the wind is up and its to rough to drag lines , remember your Bajan style flying fish recipe..melts in your mouth.

http://abajantourgirlexploringbarba...05/barbados-flying-fish-story-and-recipe.html

Attached Files:

10. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Really great thread! Getting all my cooking juices flowing. - I love cooking, but days bashing email and writing bollocks reports often knocks all the cooking out of me and I end up ordering takeaways for me and my boys. Not good.

For me, its got to be fresh, robust, simple. No chichi cheffy stuff.

Bos, The fish looks delicious. I'm really wanting to do some smoking, and I might get myself a small box for camping trips. Have you, or anyone, done any cold smoking? Any plans anywhere, for building a cold smoker?

11. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Lifted from Willalison's thread cos I didn't spot this one in time:

we have a favourite tea - a salad based on Bacalhau, but as salt cod is virtually impossible to get in Yorkshire, my version builds as follows:

thin sliced raw spanish onion;
    thin sliced tomatoes;
    thin sliced raw undyed smoked haddock,
    lime juice (to cook/oxidise the fish, but I don't leave it any longer than it takes to finish the dish, I prefer the more raw texture)
    lime zest,
    lots of the best olive oil you can get,
    salt flakes,
    fresh ground black pepper,
    fresh basil,
    eaten with crusty baguette or a very high baked loaf,
    washed down with chilly cava.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

sure have, today would sorta be a good day for it to, might be a little to cold. Its about 20°F out and all I have to do is leave the grate on top of the oven instead of in it and cover it with a blanket. Today maybe two blankets. I've friends in Alaska and thats how they all cold smoke. Just use the same set up but put the fish on top of the smoker. Cover with a blanket suspended about a foot over the whole thing and draping the sides so as to catch the smoke.

I'll take some picts next time I cold smoke something. I've got some tuna I been meaning to smoke up for the sushi bar so when I do I'll post it.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I was on gunandgame.com for about five years, before an Alaskan moderator decided to cleanse the forum of evil liberal influences.

But that moderator had a smoke house, that he smoked a winter's supply of fish in every year. It looked like a plywood outhouse. The floor was plain old river gravel; I don't remember whether he build a fire directly on it or in a pan. Apparently it did the job just fine for him.

Back when I was a gas company meter reader, one of the senior citizen trailer parks I read had a smoker behind the clubhouse that was made from an old refrigerator -- of course, one from the days before they went to plastic interiors.

I've been on the scout for one of those old refrigerators ever since, but they're scarce around here. Seems like they were mostly thrown away when they stopped working, and the few survivors are being sold in hoity-toity antique stores.:(

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Get a newer one from a recycler that's been degassed,rip out the interior plastic and everything else that will burn/stink,and scrape off as much of the glue as you can.
    Then go at it with a tiger torch and burn off anything remaining.
    Paint the outside with exhaust paint.

15. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

But the old ones are so much simpler: they're insulated, metal inside and out, and have the racks already built in.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.