Cooking aboard or outdoors

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Nov 30, 2011.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I'm sure a lot of Virginians are convinced Sheridan went straight to hell, with a one-way ticket. His scorched earth policy in the Shenandoah Valley was known as The Burning; it makes Sherman's March to the Sea look like a Boy Scout hike.

When it comes to wine, anything that isn't red is a white wine. I'm no connoisseur, but I bring home a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel now and then. No surprise there; California is knee deep in both of them.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Yes, those two wines are blancos.

But wine is more than two colors.

The German Rhine wines are known amongst some folks as yellows, and Mogen David Concord is DEFINITELY a dark PURPLE! :D

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Of course wine comes in many colors. But standard nomenclature all over the world divides it into two overall categories: red wine and white wine. Wine with little or no red in it is generally referred as white wine - even though the actual color can range from light straw to dark amber, and none of it is actually the color of milk or chalk.

Acknowledging those two basic categories (red and white) doesn't stop people from subdividing wine according to what actual color it is, what varietal it's made from, where it's made, or anything else. If people want to call Rhine wines yellow, I have no problem with it.

4. Yobarnacle

Where does blush (rose) fall in? Whites or reds? :)

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Depends on who you ask. But most people seem to either ignore that question, or assign it to the white category.

I personally would lump it in with white wines, because the skins are usually left in for just a short period of time - long enough to provide some color, but not long enough to add noticeable amounts of tannin or other complexities.

There's one guy online (Ryan Snyder, at winegeeks.com) who divides wine into six categories: red wines, white wines, rose' wines, sparkling wines, dessert wines, and fortified wines. Of course, he also divides grapes into two broad categories: white grapes and black grapes.

Speaking of fortified wines: I used to think of them as either that nasty stuff from grocery stores called cooking sherry, or the nastier stuff favored by winos for being cheap and strong. Then I remodeled a cabin for an elderly Englishwoman in the mountains near Idyllwild, who liked to sit down and have a small glass of sherry at sundown each day. Nothing nasty or cheap about her sherry.... it was tasty and warming.

6. Yobarnacle

Sherry is great in lots of dishes.
    Lentils for one.
    I also like fried plantain chips on top of a bowl of lentils, the way my wife makes em.
    The flavours are very complimentary.

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

How does your wife fix lentils?

I'm not very imaginative with them; I usually just cook them about like I would split pea soup: onions, carrots, garlic, chicken stock, diced ham or a leftover hambone. If I'm the one who did the shopping, I'll use a smoked ham hock. I usually simmer it for a while in the stock before adding fine-chopped veggies, then the lentils....

8. Yobarnacle

my wife cooks in the crock pot. She uses carrots that have been pickled in 'escabeche", as vinegar, onions, and jalapenos make the escabeche. The carrots are spicy.

Ingredients in the pot are water, lentils, onions and diced spicy carrots, olive oil, a spoon full of sherry, and a few sprigs of epazote, a green herb that tastes a bit like cooked collard greens.

After the lentils are cooked, she salts to taste, adds more sherry, and the fried plantain chips floated on top.

A heart warming meal. In the same since as a cup of hot tea is heart warming. mood elevating.

http://www.food.com/library/epazote-667

Kitchen Dictionary: epazote
    Pronounced: eh-pah-ZOH-teh.
    Search
    Ask the Community about "epazote" or what to substitute for it.

View All Recipes Which Use "Epazote". Add Information to "epazote" or Add a New Entry.

A pungent, wild herb with a strong flavor. The aroma and flavor have been described as medicinal or like turpentine or camphor. Epazote has flat, pointed leaves and is available dried, and occasionally fresh in specialty markets. Epazote is popular in many bean dishes because it is a carminative (reduces gas).

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I know what epazote is, but I've never seen it for sale fresh around here. The dried stuff isn't real impressive....

10. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Dang Troy, you're making me hungry! So, you're a man of many talents, adding master chief to your resume. Thanks for the tips and I agree, red or white, from which the grapes used but you can have a wide variance of color. Shwartz Katza (Black Cat), was my favorite white Rhine Wine :)

11. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Sorry guys... Been a little busy.

Just a few pics and recipes to follow.

First up, a basic Indian chicken curry from a few spices, water and oil, with flat bread and raita.

Attached Files:

12. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Still classically French but a modern re-work of coq au vin.

Attached Files:

13. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

An oldie but a goodie, stuffed chicken breast with a tangy cherry tomato and onion salsa-like side.

Attached Files:

14. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

And finally, an asian inspired spicy chicken dry curry.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

15. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Oh... One last bit of What-The?!?!

I've been rubbing elbows with cooking celebs recently. This guy is a bigger deal than Elvis in cooking circles, just about everyone including the Pope would put God on hold to take this Chefs phone call.

None other than Jacques Reymond.

If Asian flavours with flashy French technique is your thing... Get his books.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.