Will this work? Please offer your opinions.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gremi0, Jun 25, 2007.

1. gremi0

gremi0 New Member

I want to build a pontoon boat. I have never built one before or any boat for that matter. I have 8 plastic 55 gallon drums in my yard which I believe. will make 2 nice pontoons when bolted together.
    I have not measured them but i believe they are about 24" wide and 38" long making the boat pontoons roughly 12.5" long. my boat's width is planned for 8-10' but can be adjusted if needed depending on if it makes the difference on it working or not. I plan to use a wood frame 2x4s and plywood.
    I want to know 1, if it will float (i believe so) 2, how much weight I can expect it to carry. This way I can plan for how many people and also equipment. and 3, how much do you think the boat will weigh? :confused:

2. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Hi gremi0
    These kinds of questions come up from time to time. Maybe you should have a look at this thread in which I gave quite a detailed reply.
    Take care!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.