Converting water tank to Diesel tank

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by steve vilah, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It is ofcourse a good idea to keep the tanks full but not always applicable.

I for instance I rarely take out my boat. If I fill up the tanks my speed will be down under 20KTS. I usually dont have more than 1/2 a ton of fuel wich is 1/3 total tankage.

Its just not economical popping round the islands with full tanks when I need only a few hundred liters.

Im interested in this kerosine--what is that exactly? I know what parrafin is.

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

so what if he converts his water tanks to diesle ,,and for extra long voyage keeps a bladder onboard for water?.longliner

3. steve vilah

steve vilah Junior Member

Hello Frosty re. kerosene

Kerosene or Kerosine depending on where you live is usually used as a heating fuel and for many other applications when added to water is disolves the water placeing it in solution so it can be drawn out of the fuel tank and either seperated and caught in the fuel filter or it continues and is burnt off during combustion,the water particals are so minute it has no effect on the engine, then once the tank and lines are clear of any water, the maintenance required is minimal simply add approximately 1 litre of kero. per 1200-1500 litres fuel. Another added advantace is that the kero. having a very slight abrasive effect helps to eradicate and cleans the scum from inside the tank and lines, which is then caught by your filter, (you need to service your filter more frequently during this process) it also helps to clean the injector tips thereby improving the spray pattern of the fuel. Therefore better fuel economy,cooler engine,less vibration and happier boating. "caution it is far better to add small amounts more, often than one large dose at once." Regards.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

So this expensive stuff you buy in a bottle as fuel conditioner is just kerosine?

Do you mean methalated spirit? Is that the same?

Heating? dont have much of that round here.

Ille google it!!

5. Polaris43

Polaris43 New Member

Here's another question related to my water tank conversion to diesel.

Currently the tank outlet is in one bottom corner of the tank. Obviously, this is not desireable for a fuel tank.

Are any of you aware of instructions for fabricating a fuel pick up tube? I guess I could just get some stainless tubing and clamp a screen onto the business end but I would rather not re-invent the wheel if someone has already figured out a good way to do this.

Thanks again for your input.

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

add a racore filter.

7. Polaris43

Polaris43 New Member

Duh...

My concern with the outlet being on the bottom is not water or dirt, it's if it outlet decides to leak, or gets knocked off, I've got 50 gallons of diesel in the bilge.

If I have the pick up on the top of the tank, no such problem - get it?

jeeze...

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I wish my boat had the outlet from the tanks at the bottom. It would mean all the crap in the tank would come out and into the filter I could then just throw it way instead of it sitting there congeeling into a mass of crud encouraging the diesel bug cladesporium resinae.

My last boat carried 3000 liters , the outlets were right at the bottom, I had crystal clean fuel even though it was in there for years.

If you do get a very rare and unfortunate outlet fitting fracture and your 50 gallons go into the bilge a good filter such as a Racor will still have no problem in using it.

Another benefit of bottom feeders is that if they are saddle tanks and higher than the engine the engine can be run without the lifter pump.

The fuel has to be 'sucked 'out of top feeders, if this is more that 2 meters below the engine and the temperature gets high the diesel will boil from the depression in the pipe, This can give engine fuel starvation.

Top feeders are very difficult to bleed, the small finger pumps supplied on the engine will need to be vigorously pumped to bleed the system. It would be advisable to fit an electric 12 v assistor pump for such situations.

Just some things to consider!!

9. steve vilah

steve vilah Junior Member

Hello Polaris 43 Just position the tank to try and protect the outlet, Use a good quality fuel hose, preferably clamped with TWO stainless clamps (if possible) If the location of the new tank is below the origonal tank add a lift pump along the delivery hose, this will allow you to plumb the line direct to the filter,or alternative idear is to decanter the fuel into one of the existing tanks, often a less troublesome option . Keep it simple Mother nature does not break down Good luck Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.